OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Making a copper call?

Started by Swamp, February 25, 2013, 05:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Do y'all do anything different when making a copper call than you do any other of your calls?
Iv made a few slate and glass calls but haven't tried copper yet.

Gobblerstopper

I only use 3" copper. A shallower pot seems to sound better to me. Also use a pretty dense wood for the pot.

Swamp

Thanks I've got a piece of 3.5 copper that I want to use I have a 3 in copper call and it seems a little high pitch for my taste jmo. Thanks I have some black limbs I've never used before would that be a good wood to use?

pappy

Copper has a different molecularity then your slate or glass or other metals, so naturally there are going to be some differences in the pot internals.  Density of the pot is important, that is why I use Osage as my go to pot material. Thinner floor and outer wall thickness makes a difference too, if you are making pots with 1/4" thick floors try reducing it a little with the copper, your portal pattern is also important, as you are going to want a maximum effect when it comes to volume and not just on the loud end but with your purrs as well.  Your ledge is going to be no more the twice the thickness of your copper, your pedestal walls should be 1/8" thick and large enough to secure the soundboard without losing vibratory qualities.....sound too difficult? Naw, just experiment till you get the right sound coming from the pot call. 
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206