OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are turkeys favorite food????

Started by yukonhunter, February 07, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMarine

They'll eat just about anything that won't eat them !
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

HARDCORE

Any weedy field should do, just about everything a wild turkey could dream of eating will be in it, bugs, a variety of flowers, seeds, green grasses, tubers, vines, forbs, and even crayfish on occasion. 

Don't get me wrong, I, like most of you plant something for turkeys but maintaining a field or open area by cutting every so often will produce everything the wild turkey needs to thrive.

When it all comes down to it, it really dont matter what ya got planted during the season, cause he aint thinkin with his stomach.  ;D

HC

ground control

Quote from: Hardcore on February 07, 2011, 11:56:39 PM
Any weedy field should do, just about everything a wild turkey could dream of eating will be in it, bugs, a variety of flowers, seeds, green grasses, tubers, vines, forbs, and even crayfish on occasion. 

Don't get me wrong, I, like most of you plant something for turkeys but maintaining a field or open area by cutting every so often will produce everything the wild turkey needs to thrive.

When it all comes down to it, it really dont matter what ya got planted during the season, cause he aint thinkin with his stomach.  ;D

HC

X2  :icon_thumright:
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

st4wheel

LIMBHANGER

maustypsu

The most important food source in my opinion is a consistent and safe one.  As folks have said, they'll eat anything.  But they are nervous little buggers and very habitual.

When available they will go after insects first.  If I could hunt over a regular supply of anything it would be grubs.  Fresh plowed fields are one of their favorites - worms, insects, grubs.  But seeds, grains, etc. are a close second. 

I think the reason we 'know' they love corn is because it is often put out in the same place (for deer).  They'll keep going back to where the food is as long as it is there - consistent and safe.