turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can turkeys see red light?

Started by BlakeJ, February 24, 2013, 07:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

Three or four years back, I bumped a roosted tom using a dim green light.  I know that part of the woods like the back of my hand and I crept in like a ninja, so it had to be the light that spooked him.  I did move in a little close on him, but I have moved in much closer on birds since - in complete darkness.  I no longer use any light.
Pass it on...

redleg06

No REAL turkey hunters use lights.... :popcorn:

Ryan T

Quote from: Hardcore on February 25, 2013, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 24, 2013, 01:01:55 PM
Turkey hunters wear camouflage to prevent turkeys from detecting us. Camo guns, headnets, pants, gloves, leafy wear, and other apparel are all regularly employed by all of us across the US.

Seriously, why would you ever contemplate using a light?

Go in early, take your time, learn to feel fragile material under your feet before putting your weight on them and kill em at flydown.

Kyle nailed it, why would anyone use a light?

Red light, green light, whatever light, who knows what a turkey can or cannot see. Not that they wont or don't sometimes but not many turkeys pitch and fly in the dark, that don't mean that they didn't become frightened.

It's not a bad idea to keep some sort of light for an emergency but I wouldn't dare use one unless I absolutely had to or if I were scared of the dark.  :o

We all make noise in the woods in the dark, some more than others but accompany that noise with a light of any color and even a dumb Ol tuRkeY knows somethings not quite right.

HC

+1

If you get there early enough, you can take your time and be stealthy.  The jack-wagons I see toting lights are usually walking in the woods 10 minutes before they gobble.  When I know where one is, I try to be setup 100 or so from his tree at least 30 minutes before the earliest bird gobbles.  Also, think like a deer walks.  Walk 10 or so steps and stop.  They have animals walking under them all night.

wvboy

If they can see a Red Gobblers Heads .. then I think they can see a Red Light.. God made their Head to change colors Red/Blue/White for a reason.. and I think they can see all of those colors.. I know they can see Blaze Orange where a deer can't.. or at least they sure act like it..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

appalachianstruttstopper

Turkeys have eyes that produces images very similar to humans. Poor in low light, and of course very keen in good light. A red light will show up to them like it does to us, unlike nocturnal animals that refract images in the manner that affects there ability to see red.

hootn

i use a small green light that goes on your hat. i use it to get close and then use no light or cup it in my hand to put out a verrrryyy litle light just enought to see right at my feet. i did this last year a bunch on a bird was able to get within 30 yards of his roost when he was in the same tree. the morning i killed him he was roosted about 80 yards away from the normal tree and i eased right past him, no problem. that being said it did take me about 20 minutes to go about 75 yards up the old road from a decent road.
also if you see a deer with the green light it will scare the crap out of you cause the eyes  reflect a dull greenish gray color .

scott

HARDCORE

Quote from: redleg06 on February 25, 2013, 03:51:00 PM
No REAL turkey hunters use lights.... :popcorn:

Sir, that there bout sums it up.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

:dancingturkey: :dancingturkey: :dancingturkey:

HC

J Hook Max

You can belive what you want. I have been killing turkeys for forty years.

bullet355

I use green Streamlight pen light and keep it pointed down in front of my feet, and I also have walked right under them without spooking them.

longspur

No lights for me. I use landmarks I can see even on moonless nights like big logs or rocks or forked trees. Sometimes count the steps from a landmark to tell where to make a turn. I've listened to running water in creeks to get my bearings. A bugger may get me sometime but I sure do enjoy life. Never think about snakes eather,probably get nailed one day but I love it out there...LOVE IT. Now if I hunted in the swamps where you could walk a quarter mile and see 10 ugly, nasty moccasins it would be a different story.

HARDCORE

Guys, just like the brand of gun we prefer, boots, decoys no decoys, etc, etc, it all comes down to personal preference and what has proven to work for each one of us and ultimately, what we're most confident in.

As for the light thing, I prefer to go without. Not because I'm any more of a "real" turkey hunter, not at all. I just feel uncomfortable using one, even with the smallest light of any color I would feel like a spot light was illuminating my every step.

That's just me and I probably worry about it way too much but like I said, to each his own.

Goodluck to all of my OG brothers, may this be your best season ever.

HC 

jblackburn

I don't use a light because I'm usually late getting into the woods and the sun is already coming up . . . :blob10:
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.