OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can turkeys see red light?

Started by BlakeJ, February 24, 2013, 07:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

I use a red headlamp on my way into the field when I'm deer hunting because the deer can't see it. Can turkeys? It would be nice to be as stealthy as possible in the morning when walking out and setting up decoys.

guesswho

I'm pretty sure they can, just no depth perception.  I think deer see it as well, they just don't see it as red.  But I may be wrong.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TN Beard Buster

BlakeJ IMO, if you want a light to use for both deer and turkey that may not spook them, go with green! It's not suppose to alarm them and it doesn't mess with your vision either. I have never had an issue with it and I've used it for years!

sugarray

I have used a red light for years and have never had a problem with deer or turkey.  Walked under and right up on both.  I don't think either red or green matter

daddylongspurs

I have wild turkeys that i have raised that stay in the yard and roost about 8' up mostly on a paly set. at night i go listen to them and the subtle noises they make. Red or Green doesnt really bother them. but they do get more jumpy with a red light than a green light. with my green light i can walk right up to them and touch em and they arent spooky, with the red light i can still get close but they are a whole lot more jumpy. if I use my white light they freak out and dont want anything to do with it. so in my opinion id use green.

Skeeterbait

I use a green Streamlight Clipmate when I have to.  Prefer to just go in by moonlight but gotta do what you gotta do on moonless nights.  You will prefer the green also, not as harsh on the eyes as red.  But with that said, I think birds see color just fine.  Green may not spook them as bad but I certainly think the see it as well as any color.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Turkey hunters wear camouflage to prevent turkeys from detecting us. Camo guns, headnets, pants, gloves, leafy wear, and other apparel are all regularly employed by all of us across the US.

Seriously, why would you ever contemplate using a light?

Go in early, take your time, learn to feel fragile material under your feet before putting your weight on them and kill em at flydown. 

daddylongspurs

I dont use a light ever when turkey hunting. but the question was asked if they see red light? I just stated my observations. If I had to use a light for what ever reason, it would be a green one.

jblackburn

The red light should help get the gobblers fired up, thinking that a hooker hen is in the woods . . . :OGturkeyhead:

:TrainWreck1:

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tomstopper

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 24, 2013, 01:01:55 PM
Turkey hunters wear camouflage to prevent turkeys from detecting us. Camo guns, headnets, pants, gloves, leafy wear, and other apparel are all regularly employed by all of us across the US.

Go in early, take your time, learn to feel fragile material under your feet before putting your weight on them and kill em at flydown.
x2

Neill_Prater

I think birds in general have excellent color vision, and, since red is one of the colors natural to the head and neck of gobblers, it stands to reason they can easily detect red.

I tend to go with those who use no light at all. I will sometimes use a light coming out of the woods at night, but never when moving in on roosted birds in the morning. However, I'm sure there are those that have poor night vision, and have no option.

Turkey Beard

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 24, 2013, 02:14:05 PM
I think birds in general have excellent color vision, and, since red is one of the colors natural to the head and neck of gobblers, it stands to reason they can easily detect red.

I tend to go with those who use no light at all. I will sometimes use a light coming out of the woods at night, but never when moving in on roosted birds in the morning. However, I'm sure there are those that have poor night vision, and have no option.

X2 or X3 or X4, I think this is right on the money.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

WickedBama

Live For It!

HARDCORE

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 24, 2013, 01:01:55 PM

Kyle nailed it, why would anyone use a light?

Red light, green light, whatever light, who knows what a turkey can or cannot see. Not that they wont or don't sometimes but not many turkeys pitch and fly in the dark, that don't mean that they didn't become frightened.

It's not a bad idea to keep some sort of light for an emergency but I wouldn't dare use one unless I absolutely had to or if I were scared of the dark.  :o

We all make noise in the woods in the dark, some more than others but accompany that noise with a light of any color and even a dumb Ol tuRkeY knows somethings not quite right.

HC

J Hook Max

I have used a regular flashlight for years and have walked directly under turkeys many times with no problems. If you go in while it is pitch dark, the turkeys are asleep. Noise is what wakes them up.
As long as they remain asleep you have nothing to worry about. Being able to see will keep you from making too much noise.
Bottom line, go in an hour before daylight, keep quiet and you should have no problems either way.