turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

weirdest circumstances

Started by Rockhound, February 03, 2013, 09:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atoler

was walking down a road on some public land about 9 in the morning after striking out on a bird earlier in the day. coming up on a field, I stopped just short of the edge, and cut. One gobbled from about 100yds right out in the field. I was standing right next to a dozer the wma guys had parked on the side of the road, so I just hopped in the bucket and squatted down. shot him about 30 seconds later with my gun resting on the edge of the dozer.

I ran off one morning and left my boots on the porch, didn't realize it till I went to put them on when I got to the property I was hunting. said screw it, and wore the flip flops I had on drivin up. Didn't hear a gobble til about 8, a crow flew down the bottom, and a bird fired off. I set up as close as I dared and called a bit. couldn't get him to answer for the life of me. sat in silence for about 30 minutes then got antsy, then he gobbled at another crow. at that point he hadn't moved an inch from the first spot I heard him. I heard a hen yelping, and figure out the problem. decided to circle on him, and got right on the other side of a hump from him in open hardwoods. tried soft clucks and purrs with a bit of scratching in the leaves. nothing. stayed quiet and about ten minutes later I could hear several birds spittin and drummin, and a lot of noise. waited a bit longer, and they were staying in the same spot. tried a little bit of aggressive calling and nothing. decided to put the ninja stalk on him, cuz I was running out of time, had to leave in another thirty minutes. slipped my flip flops off and snuck up on 15ish hens and 3 gobblers in open hardwoods. Killed the bird at 40yds. I don't think there is a chance I could have gotten remotely close to them with boots on.

bushwhacker

My cousin and I had a camper pulled into a big machine shed in north missouri and it had stormed most of the night and was still raining at daylight so we slept in. About 7:30 a gobbler woke me up gobbling in the field about 75 yards behind the shed. My cousin heard it the same time I did and got up and got his gun and slipped out the front. I had just finished putting my contacts in and went out about the time I heard him shoot. I run around the corner and hes running down the hill in his underwear and house slippers and I looked down the hill and see the gobbler flopping about 50 yards in the field. He had crawled through  the grass and killed him in his underwear.

birdyhunter

After work one evening I decided to go sit in a blind on my in laws farm so I quickly dressed in all black grabbed my gun and out the door I went. This is a small 80 acre hay farm wth nothing but fields for me to hunt and no way to move on birds so a blind is my only option. When I got there birds were already in the field so I got the bright idea to hop in the tractor and see how close I could get since they were accustomed to seeing it anyway. I was able to drive within 40 yards hop out of the cab on the opposite side and crawl under the tractor. Birds never spooked and I killed a nice 2 year old less than 5 minutes after arriving. Tried this several more times over the years and its never worked again lol.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2