OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 20ga advice

Started by jlsprouls, February 17, 2013, 09:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlsprouls

I just ordered a Mossberg 500 20ga with 22" barrel for this spring, and I'm looking for any advice on chokes that would compliment 3" lead 6's or 5's, with or without the fcw. I'm not looking to shoot htl due to the price. Thanks in advance!

nogoodreezen

I am in on this too. I just picked up a super bantam yesterday for my kids. Can't wait to get everything set up. Let's hear it guys.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

R AJ

Good shells are the Winchester 3-11/4-6 lead in a 25 box, Federal 3-1 1/4 -#6 with or without FCW.
Winchester and Remington Nitro Turkey come in #5 shot and may pattern acceptably at certain distances.

For kids the chokes in the range of 565-575 or even 585 should do especially for 30 yards and in using the lead loads. A 20 gauge is persnickity by shell/choke/shot ,etc.and what it does at 30 yards may not even work at 40. The Sumtoy choke, for one, in a 562 range is acceptable for all shells and instead of buying several chokes it will deliver. Google Sumtoy Customs for a phone number and let William know your needs. A good quality choke is money well spent.

When you find the right combo, mark it and stay there regardless of what others guns may claim.

dawei

Quote from: jlsprouls on February 17, 2013, 09:34:42 PM
I just ordered a Mossberg 500 20ga with 22" barrel for this spring, and I'm looking for any advice on chokes that would compliment 3" lead 6's or 5's, with or without the fcw. I'm not looking to shoot htl due to the price. Thanks in advance!
Like you I shoot lead (Pb) because the HTL is exorbitantly expensive. The choke that has produced the "TIGHTEST PATTERNS" with Pb ammunition in my 20ga Mossberg® 500C has been the Wrights® SWARM™ .555".

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

jlsprouls

Dawei, what loads are you using?

dawei

Quote from: jlsprouls on February 18, 2013, 05:48:01 PM
Dawei, what loads are you using?
• Winchester® Supreme™ 20ga 3" Mag 1200 fps 1 5/16oz #4Pb (STH2034)
• Winchester® Supreme™ 20ga 3" Mag 1200 fps 1 5/16oz #5Pb (STH2035)
• Remington® Nitro-Turkey 20ga 3" Mag 1185fps 1¼oz #5Pb (NT20M5)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

strutter

I just put a Carlsons Longbeard choke on sons Mossberg Maverick 20ga shot it yesterday with Win Longbeard #6

surehuntsalot

the Truglo SSX .550 has worked well for me with Federal lead 5's and 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Greg Massey

Get you HS Strut undertaker 565 non ported ...

chatterbox

Another vote for the SSX.
I have one in both mine and my son's guns.....