turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ironwood

Started by selinoid44, February 09, 2013, 06:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

Knowing that ironwood could be one of many different woods, how would a fellow know what wood he has? A fellow gave me some wood the other day and said it was ironwood. It turned mighty mighty nce and is purty as all get out. I just wished I knew what it was exactly?

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

lightsoutcalls

I had a guy send me some wood known "locally" as ironwood.  It was light in color, and wasn't all that hard.  That said, I have turned a piece of desert ironwood that was nearly black and EXTREMELY hard.  I'm talking dull-your-tools-quick hard.  I turned 1 striker out of the wood and had to re-sharpen probably 3 times on that one piece. 
I wish I could give you some solid information, but I'm pretty much in the same boat on this one.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

pappy

number one....true ironwood has a moisture content of near null....that is one way to tell if you have ironwood, true ironwood will not float in water.....another is location, Arizona and Mexico are the only places where real ironwood comes from, Sonora Desert is the main location, in Mexico it is considered a National Treasure so it is costly and limited to supply due to regulations on harvesting. Coloring can range from black to orange and brown with some reds, ironwood is actually native trees that have been exposed to the elements of the desert mineralized over time to harden and color the woods according to the content. Pricing is another factor, people who sell ironwood KNOW what they have, therefore they charge accordingly, buyer beware....hopes this helps, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

selinoid44

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Tail Feathers

Probably most here know more about wood than me but always though Ironwood and Bois D'Arc were the same thing.

But it grows wild here in E. Texas so maybe it isn't the same.  Anybody know?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!