OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

box call lids

Started by twinters, February 15, 2013, 07:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinters

hey guy's,I  am making a few box calls,and would like some advice on shaping the lids.I am new to this,but really enjoy doing it,but for the life of I just can't seem to get it rite.is there a jig you can buy or is there a certain way any of you do it.I have made some nice boxes,and I can take lids off boxes I have bought,and they sound great,but when I put mine on there they sound horrible.

VanHelden Game Calls

Use a bench belt sander.  There is no trick, or perfect shape you need to master.  Some makers have a perfect radius, some like it a little flatter on the top radius.  If your liking how the built lids are sounding take note of the wood, thickness, and radius. 

From there its practice building and jigging if it easier for you.

You need to hold a consistent straight profile along the length, any low spots will cause headaches as you stroke the call.

magnoliagamecalls

You can make you block (gives you something to hold onto) then use two sided tape and tape the lid to the block the use a belt sander. I have used a vise clamped the block of wood screwed the paddle to the block then belt sanded the shape.

twinters

thanks for your replies,I guess you just don't get it right the first few times,I have always wanted to kill a turkey using a call I made with my own two hands.I will practice until I get it right.

cypresscreek

Start with a piece of wood with a consistent thickness. I prefer my lid stock to be 3/8" thick. Use the arc of a lid you like as a template- just mark the curve on both ends of your stock with a pencil. I use double stick carpet tape to secure a small block of wood to the top-this should keep your finger tips intact :toothy12:. Use a bench top sander to begin to shape the curve to your pencil line. I use an 80 grit belt for this. It may take a little practice but you will get it. Good Luck

Rick
Rick Ferlita
Cypress Creek Turkey Calls
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

VanHelden Game Calls

You guys must have  :z-flirtysmile3: nails going through all the extra work to protect them :whip2:
:TooFunny:

Cervinae

I have been using my table saw with blade tilted to give me beveled paddle than belt sand. I am running into burn marks from saw blade which ruins paddle unless it can be sanded out.  This can be a pain as it takes away for consistent paddle depth, etc.  any suggestions?

RaspyD

I put in inlays that are about an inch wide and use those to hold on to while shaping on a belt sander.  I use the sander after using a block plane first.
Perfection Turkey Calls

M R Ducks

So I've made one call, but three lids.  I actually found a carvers wood rasp helped me shape the lid radius more easily than a belt sander.  Used a couple of files and some sand paper, took about 15 minutes.  Rasp to me just gave better control.

Ducks