OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Glass?

Started by gotcha, February 14, 2013, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotcha

I am going to making a few calls for a group of us heading on a hunt this spring.They will be doublesided,glass over slate.I am going to have some artwork laser engraved on the underside of the glass,the area of the glass where the striker touches,what is the best way to condition that area.I have only used blasted glass for calls,this needs to be clear due to the design on the glass.Etetch cream then sand?

selinoid44

I prefer the sound of the sanded glass over the etched glass. Personal preference. I think the striker has better friction.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

magnoliagamecalls

I prefer clear glass conditioned over etched or bead blasted.

gotcha

Thanks guys,always used blasted then clean it up a little by sanding.I will be trying to condition a very small area so the design will still be visiable,any tips?

magnoliagamecalls

I just use a conditioning stone to do the area I want done.

lightsoutcalls

I use a dremel tool with a diamond burr to condition glass.  This will cut through the slick surface.  I then use 120 grit sandpaper in strokes going only one direction (left to right, for example) to get a playing area ready to run.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

gotcha

Thanks,glass it at engraving shop now but will use the suggestions given.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 15, 2013, 09:28:13 AM
I use a dremel tool with a diamond burr to condition glass.  This will cut through the slick surface.  I then use 120 grit sandpaper in strokes going only one direction (left to right, for example) to get a playing area ready to run.

That's a good suggestion Wendell
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

eaglea1

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 15, 2013, 09:28:13 AM
X2, I like the same setup with the dremel. Just got some glass sandblasted, want to see how they work..