turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

30 30 lever gun

Started by Spring_Woods, February 11, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy8457

Never hunted with a 30 30,  but over time  have killed more deer than any other gun. In all my time of hunting I have had to guns set off when unloading both were 30 30's.Luckly both times the people unloading them had them pointed in the right direction. Never liked that every time you jacked a shell out the hammer was back on your older guns.

Kylongspur88

336 can be a good gun...But, I've had two that couldn't hit a barn from the inside... I have seen some that were very accurate and they will kill a deer just as dead as any other round inside 200 yards. I would check local gun and pawn shops and pick up an older model. I don't have anything positive to say about the Remington lever guns. Try both 150 and 170 grain bullets. A low power scope is a nice addition. Last I checked I could get coreloks for like $14.00 at Wally World...

redarrow

Nice deer Gitzit. When you say smoother,do you mean you had to have help pulling the trigger on that 336. Exaggeration on my part,but it has the stiffest trigger I have ever seem.

redarrow

My 336 was my Grandads and was made in the early 50s. Worse trigger ever.

surehuntsalot

had a 35 Rem and a 30-30 Marlin 336  loved both of them
Winchester Silvertips in the 30-30  and Federal 200gr bullets in the 35
2 of the best ever deer rounds made
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 15, 2013, 11:30:06 PM
Quote from: redarrow on February 15, 2013, 11:12:36 PM
Nice deer Gitzit. When you say smoother,do you mean you had to have help pulling the trigger on that 336. Exaggeration on my part,but it has the stiffest trigger I have ever seem.
Trigger was stiffer but I was talking about it cycling rounds. The Marlin I had was the 336XLR stainless. It shot very well and was accurate but I just kept reaching for my 94 over it. I sold it and bought an AR15.
Dave

I called a gun shop nearby and they had a model 94 Winchester 30-30. I was excited until I heard the price. $499 used and blued up. No thanks for that price and condition.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

ssettle

First off Do Not buy one that was made by Remington. Their quality control is terrible when it comes to Marlins since they bought the company. There is a Marlin forum on the web that has alot of info about
Remington since they bought out Marlin. As for me I own 3 Marlins a 336 in 35 caliber a 45/70 guide gun and a 1895 model in 45/70. All are very good working guns but the guild gun is made with stainless steel and has a little stiffer action. I've had my 35 for 40 years and I swear that gun action is getting smoother the more I use it.

goldenhunter

Marlin 336 is a fun gun to shoot. Its short and light and easy to carry. I prefer a 35 rem over the 30-30. I have one in the 35 and shoot the Hornady bullets. I feel confident out to 200 yards with it all day long.

neverstopchasin

the gun seasons aint what effects the quality of big bucks. we have some deer in tn that people would pay big $ to go to IL to kill. poaching has some to do with it here where i live but another factor here is that there are some spots you cant even get to because the terrain is so rough. my buddy is on a lease here and brings out a booner every yr but it takes him all day just to get it out because you cant even get a 4wheeler there. but this past season i bow hunted the whole season because i was huntin in city limits and i couldnt close the deal but there were 2 bucks in there i know of that was 160 or better and if i could of had a gun i would had 1 of them

cajunhunter

That is a spine shot.  I have studied deer anatomy.  The spine is lower the closer it is to the head.

Quote from: Gitzit69 on February 15, 2013, 10:40:18 PM
I've owned both Marlin 336 and Winchester 94. My Winchester had a lot smoother action than the 336 but the top eject is a pain if you want a scope. Always shot Remington 170 grain bullets but three years ago I switched to the Hornady Revolution ammo. Very accurate and hard hitting ammo. I shot this Blacktail with it at 198yds. I know it was stretching the limits of that round but I shoot that 94 a lot at that distance. High shoulder shot dropped him in his tracks.

Spring_Woods

Found a Marlin, not a Remlin. 336w I haven't shot it yet but the scope is too big. I need to get a smaller one.

goldenhunter

Nice. You need to spend about $10 and get a hammer spur extension for it.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: goldenhunter on February 27, 2013, 01:55:23 AM
Nice. You need to spend about $10 and get a hammer spur extension for it.

Okay. I will look into that. Thanks!!

mebe007

Marlins for the win lol. Absolutely love the things. I think Im addicted, we call this syndrome Marlinitis. Come visit us over at marlinowners.com

heres mine:

Top: 1970 Marlin 336 .35 Rem
Bottom: 1970 Marlin 336 .30-30 Win

Marlin 1895 GBL .45-70

Marlin 1894P .44Mag

+ Fall Turkey

Marlin 444P .444 Marlin

Marlin 1894M .22 Mag

Marlin 39M .22LR

surehuntsalot

that's what I'm talking about
some fine looking firearms there