OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

30 30 lever gun

Started by Spring_Woods, February 11, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budtripp

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 11, 2013, 10:21:31 PM
What ashame.

Rifles are the worst thing to ever happen to the trophy deer population.

Ohio has really taken to screwing up a good thing.

Please explain. How is rifle hunting going to wipe out your trophy deer? You have shotguns and muzzeloaders capable of reaching out to 200-250 yds accurately. Most hunters can't hit the broadside of a barn past 100, whether rifle shotgun etc.The worst thing for trophy deer populations is gun seasons opening during the rut. We have always had a rifle season in Missouri, and produce some good deer but we would be 5 times better if we had a gun season that opened later like Iowa or Kansas. Kansas is rifle country too and is known for monsters. The weapon doesn't matter, its the timing of the gun season. I believe you in Ohio have a later gun season too. You'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief, hitting something with a centerfire rifle is not a sure thing especially past 200 yds. Buying a rifle doesn't automatically make someone a sniper. The average deer hunter who takes his gun out of the closet and wipes the cobwebs off the night before opening day is still going to be the norm, and not many of those guys can hit anything at any real distance.

redarrow

I have my Grandads Marlin 336 in .30-30.My wife took her first deer with it.It was made in the early 50s.I loaded it with 125.gr.hollow points.

guesswho

I have a 336 in 30-30 cal. that I bought about 40 years ago.  It's my favorite rifle.  I tried the Hornady's out of this year and they shoot great.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

I meant to add that the newer Winchesters have Angle Eject which allows the use of a scope. If you can find a Win.Ranger it is a decent little 30 30 .

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: tomstopper on February 12, 2013, 06:33:54 AM
Had one once (a winchester, model NA) and it ejected from the top. I can honestly say thats the only thing I didnt like about it (mounting scopes was odd). I will say that the 30-30 is one heck of a brush gun. If you are hunting in thick woods you cant beat it IMO.

winchester 30 30 also comes with a angle eject, model AE. I like the marlin 35 lever as lights out does, it was one of my favorite guns to hunt with until recently stolen, i had it 28 years. i will buy a used one not the new model.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

captin_hook

Wendell, what I meant about the push button safety was that the hammer only safety is dangerous because of how you have to set it. No question it is rock solid when set, but pulling the trigger while your thumb is on the hammer with a live round in front of it is dangerous no matter how experienced a person might be. I have seen a miss fire when setting this safety a few times. It never happened to me personally but it happened right next to me. No question, setting a hammer safety on a 30-30 is dangerous and should be done with great care.

redarrow

I'm not sure I understand why your finger would be on the trigger when setting the safety. If you fully cock the rifle in preparation for firing then decide not to you would need to release the hammer while pulling the trigger. That does take a practiced hand

captin_hook

Quote from: redarrow on February 12, 2013, 04:56:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand why your finger would be on the trigger when setting the safety. If you fully cock the rifle in preparation for firing then decide not to you would need to release the hammer while pulling the trigger. That does take a practiced hand

Once you decide its time to load, when you work the lever to chamber a round, the action automatically pushes the hammer back in a fire position. The only way to get it to half cocked is to place your thumb on the hammer and let it down while squeezing the trigger . All done with a live high power rifle cartridge right in front of the hammer.. dangerous in my book.  That being said, with a push button safe, once a round is chambered, and the hammer is back, you engage the push button safe and there is no fooling around with the hammer. The whole reason why the push button safety was put on newer 30-30s is because of the danger of setting the hammer safety. Otherwise it never would have been changed.

mikejd

Quote from: vaturkey on February 11, 2013, 10:02:06 PM
A Model 336 Marlin 30 30 is hard to beat. Ejects from the side compared to the top ejection from the winchesters. Hornady has a new ammo called Leverevolution.  Very good Ammo. Good luck ! 

vaturkey   :newmascot:

Good advise. If I were you I would look around for an older marlin in 30-30 or 35. These are both good deer rounds and actually I prefer the 35 but they say that more deer have been killed with a 30-30 then any other round.
As for the marlind the older ones are a bit better. In 2007 when marlin sold to Remington there quality went down a bit. Not that there to bad just not as well built as before.
As for scopes I usually dont put scopes on a lever gun but a low power would work nice maybe 1-4.

TrackeySauresRex

The Marlin 30.30 is a great shooter for sure. That was my first deer gun.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Spring_Woods

I think I found one. Nearly new, scoped. Seller wants $425. Bite?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

mikejd

Quote from: Spring_Woods on February 13, 2013, 11:50:22 AM
[/quote

Between me and you. No. the nearly new part is what I dont like. Like I said the quality fell off in 07 when Rem took over. And 425$ no bargain. Dont rush they are everywhere.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: mikejd on February 13, 2013, 09:50:54 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on February 13, 2013, 11:50:22 AM
[/quote

Between me and you. No. the nearly new part is what I dont like. Like I said the quality fell off in 07 when Rem took over. And 425$ no bargain. Dont rush they are everywhere.

I guess I should have been clearer on the condition of the gun. I haven't seen the gun yet, but the buyer claims its 99% like new condition with decent enough scope.

I called wal mart today and a new one is $513 before taxes. I need to check my other gun shops price.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

redarrow

Quote from: captin_hook on February 12, 2013, 05:28:45 PM
Quote from: redarrow on February 12, 2013, 04:56:59 PM

Once you decide its time to load, when you work the lever to chamber a round, the action automatically pushes the hammer back in a fire position. The only way to get it to half cocked is to place your thumb on the hammer and let it down while squeezing the trigger . All done with a live high power rifle cartridge right in front of the hammer.. dangerous in my book.  That being said, with a push button safe, once a round is chambered, and the hammer is back, you engage the push button safe and there is no fooling around with the hammer. The whole reason why the push button safety was put on newer 30-30s is because of the danger of setting the hammer safety. Otherwise it never would have been changed.

Absolutely right. i wasn't thinking about when you first rack one into the barrel. :icon_thumright:

archery1

HAVE A MARLIN 30-30 336
love it.. put a nikon scope on it an it loves the rem core lokt ammo.. one of the best deer guns ever made  didnt try any of the hornady ammo.. but i will say this
hornady  does go into most of my guns..
they make awesome ammo
Take a kid hunting