turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

10" Count at 40 Yards?

Started by Bustabeak, February 11, 2013, 08:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I just recently purchased a Super Vinci and I'll have to start the pattern process here pretty soon, but what is a good number I can look for in a 10" circle at 40 yards. For example, I see people put 150 or 175 in a 10" circle, and I know that will kill one for sure, but what would be an impressive number in a 10" circle at 40 yards? 200? 250? I have no clue, I'm just curious. Again, I know that 150 would do the trick... just wondering.

Oh and if any of you have some recommendation on the Super Vinci/choke/shells let me know!

ryanva88

Alot depends on the turkey load you shoot...lead or HTL and shot size...what are your preferences?

Bustabeak

I generally shoot lead. I've been looking at the Winchester extended range but I'm not sure. I'm open to try anything!

Oconeeguy

Bustabeak, I have just really started patterning lead and HTL shot in Moss 535 and BPS 12 gauges. So far, my best lead is Rem premiere magnum 3"-2oz-#5, 91 hits in 10" @ 40yds, with Comp-N-choke .670. HTL is always above 100 hits and usually way above. Jellyhead and Indian Creek chokes are best for HTL in my rigs. Have a ways to go yet though.

Its not too late to put in for the Piedmont NWR quota hunt. Its not too far from west Georgia to hunt a chunk of woods 34,000 acres in size.

Bustabeak

Quote from: Oconeeguy on February 12, 2013, 08:46:28 PM
Bustabeak, I have just really started patterning lead and HTL shot in Moss 535 and BPS 12 gauges. So far, my best lead is Rem premiere magnum 3"-2oz-#5, 91 hits in 10" @ 40yds, with Comp-N-choke .670. HTL is always above 100 hits and usually way above. Jellyhead and Indian Creek chokes are best for HTL in my rigs. Have a ways to go yet though.

Its not too late to put in for the Piedmont NWR quota hunt. Its not too far from west Georgia to hunt a chunk of woods 34,000 acres in size.

Thanks! I've been wanting to try the indian creek chokes I guess I'll have to try them out. I haven't used much of the HTL stuff but i'm going to give it a shot this year. I know a guy that hunts the Oconee National Forest. I'm assuming by your user name you are from that area. I think I'm going to try to go over with him this year possibly. He's our sales rep for a line of plumbing supplies. I may have to put in for the quota hunt though for sure.

Rockhound

Quote from: Oconeeguy on February 12, 2013, 08:46:28 PM

Run a kicks 660 in those bps and 535 and you should see those numbers go up, i think my bps runs about 115 with gray box winchester #5 and 107 with black box. Around 115 with federal fcw.

Bustabeak

I just picked up the Down-n-dirty haymaker, made by indian creek, I'm going to shoot it saturday and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

davisd9

Run some hevi 6s, 3" or 3.5", down her and you will be happy.  Let us know how it does.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 15, 2013, 08:54:53 AM
Run some hevi 6s, 3" or 3.5", down her and you will be happy.  Let us know how it does.
This.^^^^^

Bustabeak

Well, I went and shot, but it was hitting way high. Kinda aggravated but.. Ill just have to figure it out. I didn't really get to do much patterning in because I was trying to fix the hitting high. At 10 yards its about 5 to 6 inches high with the thickest shim that benelli offers. I've read that putting a larger bead on the gun helps so I've put my nova bead on the super vinci and I'm gonna try it again soon. Any tips on why it may be shooting high?

runngun

Busta, Benellis are famous for shootimg high. My SBE shot high and left no matter the shim. So I drilled and tapped it and put a scope on it, the only thing that fixed it.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bustabeak

Quote from: runngun on February 17, 2013, 07:55:01 PM
Busta, Benellis are famous for shootimg high. My SBE shot high and left no matter the shim. So I drilled and tapped it and put a scope on it, the only thing that fixed it.
I'm hoping I don't have to go that route. I'm going to try out the larger bead first. Any idea why they make their guns shoot high? I have a stoeger 3500 that has almost all the same specs, length of pull, drop, etc. are almost identical. and the stoeger is right on the money every time and for less than half the price.... That's the only thing I'm kinda upset about...

davisd9

These will fix the problem if you do not want to go the scope or red dot option. 

http://www.amazon.com/TruGlo-Magnum-Gobble-Dot-Turkey-Hunting/dp/B000OI81OU
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer