turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Today's pattern testing

Started by tha bugman, February 09, 2013, 05:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

835 hevi shot choke hevi 13 3.5" #7's at 40 yards 247 in a 10"circle compared to the 3.5 #6's with 198....question which one would you use ?

chatterbox

The 198 from the 3.5-2.25-6's.
50 pellets more isn't enough to sell me on the 7's.

WildSpur

That's a tough one.  That's respectable for 6s and average for 7s.  I think I would opt for the 6s too.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

tha bugman

I will say this as well the #6's seemed more centered at 30 and 20 yards with not that much difference in pellet counts at those distances

jerf

Get an indiancreek .675 had one in my 20 in. moss. 835 and  got 325 average with hevi 13 3.25 #7shot.

goblr77

6s for no more of a count difference than that.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Dude you can buy a TruGlo .670 SSX choke for right at $40 shipped and up that count on the 3.5" 7 loads to right at 300 in a 10". 

Then there would be no excuse not to shoot the 7's over the 6's. 

I put over 300 shot in a 10" through the SSX .670 choke I had on the very first shot through the tube.  It wa a brand new choke.  And that was on a 45 degree day. 

gophert

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 10, 2013, 05:51:45 AM
Dude you can buy a TruGlo .670 SSX choke for right at $40 shipped and up that count on the 3.5" 7 loads to right at 300 in a 10". 

I put over 300 shot in a 10" through the SSX .670 choke I had on the very first shot through the tube.  It wa a brand new choke.  And that was on a 45 degree day.

I'm with Brad...you should easily be able to get close to 300 with those #7's and that is what I would hunt with.  Don't get so focused on that 10" circle as you also want a 20" number in the 200's.  If you could get around 275 in the 10 and 200+ in the 20"....now that is a hunting pattern that no gobbler can walk away from.  My goal is always to have a good solid core, but I want a 20" solid sheet of shoot going at that turkey.  What you have is huntable with either, but my guess is settling is not an option.  I like walking in the woods knowing the only thing that has the chance to mess up is me.  Good Luck!

Tim

captin_hook

Go with the 7's. More pellets in overall pattern .  :icon_thumright:

Tom Foolery

Honestly it's not going to matter, but if it were me I would shoot the 7's.  Those are good #6's with the 6's but if 247 #7's won't smoke a tom then he can't be killed.

davisd9

I use the 6s with a similar pattern. That gives you wiggle room at 20 yards. Good luck!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Foolery

Quote from: davisd9 on February 10, 2013, 09:24:23 AM
That gives you wiggle room at 20 yards.

How do you figure the pattern with 6's would be any different at 20yds than the 7's? 

Thanks

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gophert on February 10, 2013, 06:48:21 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 10, 2013, 05:51:45 AM

I'm with Brad...you should easily be able to get close to 300 with those #7's and that is what I would hunt with.  Don't get so focused on that 10" circle as you also want a 20" number in the 200's.  If you could get around 275 in the 10 and 200+ in the 20"....now that is a hunting pattern that no gobbler can walk away from.  My goal is always to have a good solid core, but I want a 20" solid sheet of shoot going at that turkey.  What you have is huntable with either, but my guess is settling is not an option.  I like walking in the woods knowing the only thing that has the chance to mess up is me.  Good Luck!

Tim

Your right on.  If you can get around the 500 mark all inside the 20' circle, your going to have a super good killable pattern.  275 to 300 in the 10" and around 200 outside of that inside the 20" or if you can get more that is just a bonus.  I think the most I have ever put inside a 20" with my Star Dot choke is 556 shot.  But now technically putting this many in the 10" makes what is outside of the 10" and in between the 10" and 20" where it's not going to be as impressive.  But the way I look at it is this.  I now have a dot sight on the 835.  Where the dot goes, my main concentration of pattern goes.  So really I'm not so worried about missing.  But when one is close, your aim better be true. 

Here's a link to the photo of that 556 shot pattern inside the 20" at a taped 40yds if you care to see it. 

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=788428&ppuser=23790

I'll add Hevi-13 #7's just pattern a heck of a lot better from my findings vs the 6's.  It's like nite and day difference in my Star Dot choke. 

WiLL B

I would use the #6's. They are plenty dense and hit harder. I would try some #5's in it also. I have killed a bunch with the old Rem. Heavyshot #5's and Nitro straight heavy #5's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the very first shot I shot with the SSX .670 choke I used to have.  Like I said that was on 45 degree day.  It actully whipeed my Star Dot in that temp.  But I doubt it would beat the Star Dot on a 70 degree day.