OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most Common Constriction Range for an SP10?

Started by Full_Fan, February 09, 2013, 05:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M R Ducks

Old Gobbler - No doubt you are right.  One more load bites teh dust...  Therefore....

Go big or stay home.  I want a great patterning, dedicated turkey gun that will absorb the recoil of a hard htting, clean killing, turkey load at 40 yards - so I ordered a .690 Jell Head for my SP-10 and will be shooting the 2 1/4 ounce Nitro Mega Weight shells as recommended on their site.  A few extar FPS over the MH210 2 1/2 ounce load, maybe a little less recoil, maybe a few less pellets in the pattern, but I do prefer a faster payload.  Also from what I've read on this site that choke should work well with the Nitor stright #7 heavy shot if I want to really clog the 10 inch circle.

Now for optics...  I'm leaning towards the Quick Shot as I like the field of view.  Some guys prefer a scope - anyoen have thoughts about the better approach for a 10 gauge?

Ducks 

Full_Fan

Ducks - My mistake I was reading the shot sizes in the H13 MagnumBlend loads.  Other than the MagnumBlend, H13 only makes a 10ga stright #5 load.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: M R Ducks on February 10, 2013, 08:38:00 PM
Old Gobbler - No doubt you are right.  One more load bites teh dust...  Therefore....

Go big or stay home.  I want a great patterning, dedicated turkey gun that will absorb the recoil of a hard htting, clean killing, turkey load at 40 yards - so I ordered a .690 Jell Head for my SP-10 and will be shooting the 2 1/4 ounce Nitro Mega Weight shells as recommended on their site.  A few extar FPS over the MH210 2 1/2 ounce load, maybe a little less recoil, maybe a few less pellets in the pattern, but I do prefer a faster payload.  Also from what I've read on this site that choke should work well with the Nitor stright #7 heavy shot if I want to really clog the 10 inch circle.

Now for optics...  I'm leaning towards the Quick Shot as I like the field of view.  Some guys prefer a scope - anyoen have thoughts about the better approach for a 10 gauge?

Ducks
I think you took the correct course of action with the choke constriction - the 690 range chokes are far more versatile

The bigger dia 720 Rhino seems to only perform best with the triplex H210 -

I have a aimtech see through saddle mount on my sp10 and the main sighting device is a Burris M-TAC scope , I have a top picatinny ring with a FF2 as a backup or close in sight - previously I had a Bushnell plex shotgun scope , but once I got the far clearer self illuminated Burris scope that went right on the SP10 - The 4X Burris scope is so bright and clear

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Rockhound

Quote from: Full_Fan on February 10, 2013, 04:21:12 PM
Great information guys.

Rockhound - aren't all Kicks chokes ported and therefore not recommended for use with the Federal HW FCW?

Ducks - I'd be interested in knowing what you get with those #6 Fed HW FCW loads.

Has anybody tested any of the H13 loads?  I see they have a 2oz #5, #6 and #7 available.  Do the Federals perform better?

Federal had a list out awhile back that listed safe chokes with the fcw and kicks was on it. Charlie Boswell will also say they are safe and they are a great choke for everything i have run through them besides the new tss load and you cant really choke it that tight. I have shot dozens of fcw lead and several heavyweight fcw in my 10 as well as tss and hevi 13 and those things are built like tanks. In my 835/kicks combo i honestly bet i put close to 3 or 4 hundred of the lead fcw through it.

Rockhound

It appears to me that if the price increased they had to order fresh stock