Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Common Constriction Range for an SP10?

Started by Full_Fan, February 09, 2013, 05:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

If the most common turkey choke constriction sizes for a 12ga rem are something along the lines of:

0.655 to 0.675 (most common range)  With the smaller constriction being better for #7 and #6 and the larger better for #5 and #4.

What would this same range be for common choke constriction on an SP10?

In other words, what's the most common and most proven constriction sizes for #7, #6, #5, and #4 out of an SP10?

M R Ducks

685 through 720 with the tighter end seeming most common.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Full_Fan

Does anybody know what the constriction is on the factory rem flush turkey choke that came with my SP10?

M R Ducks

Full_Fan

Thanks Ducks.  Based on the most common range your mentioned I would assume that 0.685 - 0.695 might be better for #6 and #7 and above that would be better for #5 and #4...?  As a general place to start?

M R Ducks

Full Fan -

To be honest I'm in the choke/load research mode as well.  I've been pushing the Federal 2 ounce high velocities for the past few years out of a Hasting .695 ported with good results - until last year when I ran out and bought more.  I lined up a "always smoked them before" 40ish yard shot and 3 shells later the bird is sitting there looking at me like I was shooting blanks.  I had patterned them at 25 yards just to insure POI and they were dead on, but after the miss I backed off to 40 yards and... well let's just say I never hurt that bird.  What a difference a different lot of ammo makes...

So now I'm looking at the Federal hevi-shot #6's with flight control and my .685 non-ported choke.  I ordered a couple of boxes from Dunns.  I'll try this out before deciding to buy another choke.  I'm also getting older and am putting a Quick Shot on my SP-10, I have a hard time getting my head down on the stock and still being able to see through my glasses at the beads.  If this combo gives me 200 at 40, I'll call it good.  If not, I probably will bow out of the 10 gauge club and go to my Xtrema-2 (3.5 inch) or 11-87 (3 inch).  If I have to buy new chokes, may as well be for a gauge with more ammo options.  Hate to say that, but it's reality.  The Quick Shot will mount right to the Xtrema receiver. 

M R Ducks

Full Fan - BTW -I saw here somewhere here where someone measured his Remington factory flush choke and came up with .728

Ducks

Rockhound

I got 235 at 40 with the federal #7s so im doubting you will see 200 with  6s. Im shooting a Browning though and will say you should give the kicks 690 with that sp10.

M R Ducks

Thanks, Rockhound.  Does Federal still make the 7's?  Can't find them!!!

You're the second guy who says give the Kicks a run.  Might have to try that.

Have you tried the 6's?  Curious if you have a pellet count.....

Ducks

Old Gobbler

Hinterlandoors.com for the #7's -- get it while you can guys , I am suspicious that the Federal HW  may have already been discontinued..... you can play it safe and buy a few boxes , or run the chance -   

You may not think so , yet but the #7s have ridiculous amounts of energy -I have a scrap piece of 1/2- 5/8 hardwood sandply and every single pellet passed right through it like a hot knife through butter - I have the same choke thanks to Rockhounds helpful posts , and got 218 in a dirty barrel on a windy day --  My gun will probably knock it up to the 230-240 with some tweaking

-Shannon

Full_Fan

Great information guys.

Rockhound - aren't all Kicks chokes ported and therefore not recommended for use with the Federal HW FCW?

Ducks - I'd be interested in knowing what you get with those #6 Fed HW FCW loads.

Has anybody tested any of the H13 loads?  I see they have a 2oz #5, #6 and #7 available.  Do the Federals perform better?

M R Ducks

Where are you finding hevi 13 in #7 for a 10 gauge?  All I can find are 5's.
???

Ducks

M R Ducks

Hinterland outfitters does have the Federal #7 tungsten in 10 gauge in stock.  I bet it hs been discontinued given it costs $5 more than the same in #6.  To me that's a dead give away.

I have a 10 gauge reloader - I can reload lead shells no problem, but hevi shot is its own animal.  I should research that some more.  Components are pretty easy to find - recipes are a little harder.  Kind of like asking a duck call maker his radius.  If you know what I mean, you know what I mean (I'm not telling mine!!). :lol:

Ducks

Old Gobbler

Hinterland had #7 Federals for $25 a box two weeks ago , I bought a case of it - now its 29$  :( 

The 20 gauge Federal #7 is very hard to get right now -

In about 2-3 weeks most people will be able to figure out if Federal has , or has not discontinued the HW in turkey like they did for ducks -If it has been discontinued  it will simply be harder to get , after time impossible  - When the seasonal shopping starts in a few weeks , most of what is remaining will be drained out -- hope this isnt the case ,

-Shannon