OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blasted surface vs. non-blasted?

Started by WildSpur, February 07, 2013, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

Why would someone want a blasted aluminum or glass surface vs a non-blasted?  Does the blasting take away the need for sanding?

Cluck more, yelp less

Cut*N*Run

Yep. Sometimes I do sand blasted aluminum or glass a bit to get it to play exactly how I want.

VanHelden Game Calls

Suppose to be the reason, but I find plain blasted glass second to sanded glass for playability and sound.  Now sanded blasted glass works well for me and I find sanding the blasted glass to be easier because that slick surface has been eroded away. And sanding the blasted glass gives a more uniform "color" to the surface for those that like pretty calls as well.  ;D

pappy

Be careful when choosing blasted glass....I bought some that evidently had some oil in the air line to the blaster and they would not play at all. That is when I turned to sanding the glass surface....I use a diamond dusted sharpening stone to get through the layer of melted glass to reach the raw glass, then back that up with graduated sanding sheets until I get the right amount of friction I am looking for. Sanded glass may not be as pretty as the blasted, but for me I hangs in there a lot longer....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

VanHelden Game Calls

Pappy brings up a good point.  Always clean and prep your surfaces before assembly, its a 30 second job. You are now able to get zarconium sanding paper at most box stores around here. It works great and cheaper then the diamond sticks for inclusion with calls. I also find running the glass on the belt sander to be the best and fastest way to condition evenly; Blasted or un-blasted.