OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lathe chucks

Started by BrowninG79, February 05, 2013, 12:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrowninG79

What type of chucks are used to make pot calls and strikers and what are the best ones?

pappy

That is a good question, first you want a four jaw setup. Here is one I have on my Nova.... http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Wood-Chuck-3-4-x-16-TPI/H6264   the thread and diameter is different as I use 1-1/4 - 8 tpi. but this is a great chuck as you can have interchangeable jaws. and that is the secret to using the chuck, you can position your blank in so many ways to do different turning needs without changing the chuck out, just the jaws. I have four sets of jaws, capable of clamping down on the outside diameter of my pots to holding the inside diameter where my sound board is mounted...versatility is the key.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

luckydawg

:welcomeOG:I just bought a Barracuda micro four jaw chuck and used it this weekend. It is some of the best money I ever spent toward call making. I love it ... So much better than 3 jaw chuck I had.

misfire

Several years back, Woodcraft had their Pinnacle chucks on sale, so I bought two of them. I have two different sized jaws on them, so all I have to do is switch chucks. That is a lot easier less time consuming than changing jaws.
As for strikers, I turn them between centers
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

stone road turkey calls

I have 4 Barracuda chucks, got tired of changeing the jaws, i really like them.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

BrowninG79

Thanks for all the info guys. This is an awesome forum!

Houndstooth Game Calls

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on February 09, 2013, 08:36:05 AM

Barracuda all the way comes with all you need plus a nice case to put it all up!!

Stoner

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on February 09, 2013, 08:36:05 AM

I got tired of changing the jaws as well, I purchased a second Barracuda to eliminate that problem.

If you buy the Barracuda, purchase the one that uses the Key to tighten the jaws. Stay away from the Barracuda that uses two medal rods to tighten the jaws. It is a poor design and you will fling some wood across the room. It is not a safe design. The ones with the key, I have not had any problem with them.