OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

ANYONE SHOOTING 12 GA FEDERAL HVYWGHT #7'S THRU AN INVECTOR PLUS BARREL?? UPDATE

Started by SKFOOTER, February 04, 2013, 01:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

If so, which length shell and what size & brand choke are you using and what kind of pattern are you getting in a 10" circle at 40 yards?  Thanks.   :OGturkeyhead:

SumToy

It will show out with a 675 choke.  I have not did a shot count with the HW but it is nasty with the lead FCW
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Okiehntr12

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SumToy on February 04, 2013, 07:32:01 PM
It will show out with a 675 choke.  I have not did a shot count with the HW but it is nasty with the lead FCW
Ported, non-ported??  Does it matter??

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 04, 2013, 01:46:19 PM
If so, which length shell and what size & brand choke are you using and what kind of pattern are you getting in a 10" circle at 40 yards?  Thanks.   :OGturkeyhead:

Keith,

I've shot those shells in the past through the BPS and probably several other guns with I+ barrels. What we found was that when the Flitecontrol Wad functions as designed, you don't necessarily get the best patterns from those shells. A non-ported choke with an e.d. of .670 - .675 will let that wad function well but patterns are much better when shot through a non-ported .650 turkey choke.

I've had very few inquires about those shells in the last 2 years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 05, 2013, 12:55:12 PM

I cant say about other chokes.  Our chokes are NOT ported.  Ports holes goes in a boat.  :toothy9:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

chatterbox

Quote from: SumToy on February 05, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

Ports holes goes in a boat.  :toothy9:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Oconeeguy

All the turkey loads i see from Federal have the FCW. Do they make any kind of turkey load without it?

SKFOOTER

I cant say about other chokes.  Our chokes are NOT ported.  Ports holes goes in a boat.  :toothy9:
So have you patterned the Federal HW #7's through your .675 Invector Plus chokes??

SumToy

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 05, 2013, 09:59:02 PM

So have you patterned the Federal HW #7's through your .675 Invector Plus chokes??

Not the HTL but the lead I have.  I have a pattern on Facebook with the BC 3 inch number #3 at 30 yards that will kill a turkey.  Alot of folks think it is a turkey load target.  It was with a HM.  I think the FCW works the best out to the bigger bore guns.  That wad is had and gets real odd acting when choked small.  So you get the same take down with the big bore gun with a more open choke. 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've patterned the #7 heavyweight 3.5" load in an 870 sm and the Carlson tube designed for it (.660 constriction).

I couldn't get a pattern over 140 in the 10" at 40.  Truthfully, I was extremely disappointed with those numbers since I was excited about trying the load on a Longbeard last year at the end of the season.  I may experiment with Carlson's in the constriction department a little more but I'd want 180+ in the 10" before I'd consider letting one eat on a bird.

I know very few people who have had any success with that damn shell!

SKFOOTER

Thanks Va but I've already gone the Remington route.  I'm interested now in how the Invector Plus barrels pattern the HW 7's. 

SKFOOTER

I found a Roy Rhodes non-ported .655 turkey choke designed by Angle Porting (Ballistics Specialties) for my Browning Silver on EBAY for less than $20 so I bought it.  Patterned the 3.5" Federal Hvywght 7's in that combination today and was pleasantly surprised.  I put 220+ pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 yards twice.   :turkey2:

Old Gobbler

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 09, 2013, 06:48:21 PM
I found a Roy Rhodes non-ported .655 turkey choke designed by Angle Porting (Ballistics Specialties) for my Browning Silver on EBAY for less than $20 so I bought it.  Patterned the 3.5" Federal Hvywght 7's in that combination today and was pleasantly surprised.  I put 220+ pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 yards twice.   :turkey2:
man thats a good shooting gun !!  :icon_thumright:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Britton40

I just got a Pure Gold Tempest (non ported) in 660 to try in my Browning Silver with the Fed HWT #7.  I will post up pics when I test it.