turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 patterning today

Started by tha bugman, February 02, 2013, 08:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I was disappointed in the patterns I got from the undertaker it just seemed too open .705. I was thinking of ordering a hevi shot choke with a .662 constriction or a jellyhead .690 or a bone collector .670. I was really wanting to shoot either the mag blend or hevi 13 any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Skeeterbait

In the 835 .705 is definitely too open for turkey loads and .690 is too open for any loads with shot smaller than #4.  .662 is going to be too tight.  835'S have a sweet spot for turkey loads between .670 and .680.  Stay in that range and you will find one that gives you what you like.

mightyjoeyoung

.690 is certainly not too open.  .015 tighter than your .705 might not sound like much, but it sure can be, especially in the 835.  I have a Jelly Head in .690 that throws some amazing patterns in my 835's with straight Hevi 6's, Mag Blends and pb 5's and 6's.  It all depends on the geometry of the choke. That being said, you SHOULD get better patterns with contrictions between .010 and .020 tigher, but not always.  Have you deep cleaned and/or pollished the barrel yet?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tha bugman

So what kind of numbers are you getting with the jellyhead?  No gun is new so I have not polished te barrel

coyotetrpr

I shoot the hevi13 choke and mag blends in my 835 for now. My hevi choke is a 676 constriction. Where did you find a 662? That seems aweful tight for an 835. However, my combo will put 210 to 250 in the 10 at 40 yards. If the price of h13 would go down I would shoot this combo forever.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

davisd9

I shot my 835 today with a mad Max choke with the constriction of .695. I shot mag blend through it, 217 hits, and hevi 7s, 220 hits. Both at a lasered 40 yards.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

675 in that gun.  242 with HV13 6's today.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

tha bugman

Well I called tech support at cabelas and that is what they said it was maybe they were wrong or mistaken
Quote from: coyotetrpr on February 02, 2013, 11:30:06 PM
I shoot the hevi13 choke and mag blends in my 835 for now. My hevi choke is a 676 constriction. Where did you find a 662? That seems aweful tight for an 835. However, my combo will put 250 to 280 in the 10 at 40 yards. If the price of h13 would go down I would shoot this combo forever.

ILIKEHEVI-13

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tha bugman on February 02, 2013, 08:56:45 PM
I was disappointed in the patterns I got from the undertaker it just seemed too open .705. I was thinking of ordering a hevi shot choke with a .662 constriction or a jellyhead .690 or a bone collector .670. I was really wanting to shoot either the mag blend or hevi 13 any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of your gun, even though it's a new one. The time spent with that process can yield big dividends and end some frustration at times. You can click on my banner beneath this post and locate the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" to find those guidelines.

I'd try that and see how your gun patterns with what you have. If that does not work, a Hevi-13 choke, Pure Gold or the SSX should help you get what you want.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Skeeterbait

I have tried a lot of chokes in the 835 from a .660 Kicks to a .690 Jelly head.  My best patterns came with chokes in the .670 to .680 range.  Best of all for me is the Indian Creek Black Diamond in .675.  I don't shoot hevi 13, I prefer Winchester Extended Range.  With 2 ounces of #6 my best pattern is 225 inside a 10" circle at a laser ranged 40 yards.

tha bugman

That's a great looking pattern!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I have Shot a lot of chokes including Indian Creek, Pure Gold, TruGlo, MAD, Hastings, Carlson's etc..  None of them will come close to consistently shooting like my Star Dot with Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's when the temp is 60 degrees or warmer.  This was the last and only shot I shot last srping just to make sure my Tasco sight was holding zero with my good stuff of lot # 300325.  It was shot at a tape measured 40yds from tip of choke to target, and it was witnessed by my buddy Mark and his son Spencer.  Temp was about 75 degrees.  I told both of them before I shot it that your looking at over 300 shot inside a 10".  That's when you know you have confidence in your choke and load.  But I know this choke and I know these shells from this lot # and how they consistently shoot in this choke. 

Just to show you that was no fluke this one was almost as good. 

tha bugman

This is the type of pattern I am looking for

Swampwise

This is the type of pattern I am looking for

PM sent to you Bugman.
I have the BFOTP!