OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is Rhino worth the $$$

Started by treatcg, January 03, 2013, 09:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treatcg

Interested in the Rhino .720 for my BPS 10 but according to their website it will be $118 shipped.  I plan to shoot the Nitro 210 4x5x7.  What makes this choke so expensive and any better than the Jellyhead .690?  I am surprised that Nitro recommends both for this load when they are different constrictions.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Old Gobbler

BTW this is out of a sp10

The .720 and that choke is primarily for the Nitro 2.5 triplex load ,That choke is guaranteed to shoot that load VERY well , I know I have owned and shot those loads through it - the problem with the contemplating getting another affordable choke is that just about every good turkey 10 gauge shell will set you back 6-8$ per round , next thing you know you are out half a box of shells , you have half the other box and it may or may not shoot as good as you think , next thing you know your sending off for another box , and possibly another choke $$$

I also own a jellyhead.690 shot with the 2.5 nitros ,but cant recall the exact performance( ill have to dig up some old patterns )  I think it was around 280-290 ,and the rhino .720 was good for 340- 360 all the time

The .685 Rhino shoots the straight #7 - 2.5 nitros very well 380+ ,and  the Nitro  2.5 straight 5's well (180-190) and almost most other turkey loads very , very well  ,the .685 rhino will blow out the triplex 2.5's as in it wont shoot as well as the .720 with that load  - I haven't shot Federal HW 7 through it cause I'm no waisting any ammo cause it works well with a kicks , and my motto comes to mind with turkey guns ..... good is good enough

Some people have had good luck with the Indian Creek .710

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Old Gobbler

Also the above mentioned patterns are for the Nitro Hevi-shot loads, I know nothing about the pattern performance of the newer Mega -weight shells

-Shannon

strut2

I used to shoot a sbe2 with an Indian Creek .665 choke/Hevi Shot at 40 yards I was getting on average 85 pellets in a 10 inch circle. After reading results other people were getting I became frustrated because guys were talking about getting 200+ pellets at the same distance at a 10" circle. I have a buddy that has a benelli and borrowed his jelly head choke .665 and got about the same results if not alittle worse. I ended getting frustrated enough that I called rhino and they customized my gun. They did some barrel work (forcing cone job and custom made me my own rhino choke). I am shooting 3 1/2 Magnum Blend out of it and I am getting on average 190+ pellets at 40 yards in a 10 inch circle. Very pleased with my rhino choke and barrel work. I know this doesn't directly answer your question because I got some barrel work done that helped out my results along with the rhino choke. And I'm not shooting the same gun as you But just figured I would let you know I am pleased with the results that I got from rhino.

treatcg

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 03, 2013, 09:46:38 PM
Also the above mentioned patterns are for the Nitro Hevi-shot loads, I know nothing about the pattern performance of the newer Mega -weight shells

Any experience shooting magblends out of the Rhino .720?  Thanks for your help!

Old Gobbler

:cross2:
Quote from: treatcg on January 04, 2013, 08:33:40 AM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 03, 2013, 09:46:38 PM

Any experience shooting magblends out of the Rhino .720?  Thanks for your help!
nope, I never did break down and try those shells- there are several posts on magblends in this section,  Gobbler74 is the guy you want to talk to on that shell

A word of caution with using 10 gauge turkey shells,  once you find a good combo you should hoard up as much as you can,  the ammo companies can cease production at the drop of a hat - I suggest keeping at least 10 years worth if it,  and be very stingy patterning what you have

-Shannon

gobbler74

The nitros love the rhinos vice versa..its all in what you wanna try. Never know till you do. I've got pure gold, Indian creek and a both rhinos..they all shoot good. One or the other may have a little better pattern with a certain shell. I don't do jelly head because they're coming out of ningbo china manufacturing. Thats just me so dont let that sway your testing.The above are USA Help where you can. If you really wanted to get 1 good all around 10 ga choke that works well with several loads either pure gold .690 or Indian creek .710 and go hunting
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Longbeard77

The 690 pure gold is a good all around choke. it is a little more even and open, still shoots tight but has a more round even pattern vs a super tight center pattern with my testing in a Browning gold 10.

Old Gobbler

I have the Pure Gold .690 and that too is a good choke , it is like Ketchup ...good on everything

it shoots the nitro triplex in the 300 range , very even too -

If you have ever seen a pure gold , they are very robust in construction

-Shannon