turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Raspy

Started by magnoliagamecalls, February 11, 2013, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnoliagamecalls

I have a question for you all in your opinion what factor makes the greatest difference in getting a pot call raspy? Not looking for any secrets

VanHelden Game Calls

IMO what I found; its a combo of playing surface and striker.  The harder of any of these 2 items increases the rasp, I also find a lighter striker to increase the pitch and the rasp but its a trade off in your roll over.

But I am always learning to hear from others. :OGturkeyhead:

WillowRidgeCalls

Most of the time it's the size of your pedestal in the dia. and thickness. If your using a glass soundboard, a smaller dia. pedestal or thinner walled pedestal will give you more rasp in the call. As Doug said what combo your using has somewhat effect on it also, as does what striker wood your using, it will bring more of the rasp out of a call, if it's in the call to start with?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

TN-Hunter

What WillowRidge said from what i have found he is right on.

VanHelden Game Calls

Well I see we have just about cleared this topic up; clear as mud anyways :TooFunny:

I have been thinking about your question, what makes the biggest difference and I am not sure there is just one. 

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 11, 2013, 10:33:29 PM
Well I see we have just about cleared this topic up; clear as mud anyways :TooFunny:

I have been thinking about your question, what makes the biggest difference and I am not sure there is just one.

Doug is right again, there isn't just one thing that makes a difference, it's a combo of thing. Your pedestal size, wheather your pedestal is a solid ring or broken ring, what surface your using, what soundboard material your using, the thickness of your soundboard, the thickness of your calls bottom, the size of your holes in the bottom of your call.  It all makes a difference, but if your calls are the same thickness and size and shape, the biggest difference is your pedestal dia. size.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott