turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need help: what barrel will fit 870LW

Started by cluck, January 26, 2013, 09:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluck

This is what I have. Rem. 870LW, 28" fixed full choke. First letter of serial number is 'S', last letter of serial number is 'K'. It has a 2 3/4" inch chamber. My question is, does Rem. make a barrel with a 3" chamber, screw in choke, vent rib for this gun? One more thing, its a 20 gauge. Would like to make it turkey gun for granddaughter and grandson. As is, it does not pattern good at thirty yards with lead number 6 shot. Any information is greatly appricated.   Cluck

redarrow

That will be a tough barrel to find. the early 870 20s used a 12 ga. receiver.Don't know if you can use 3 in shell in the early 20s that are chambered for 2 3/4. You probably should just look for an 870 express and build it up the way you want it.

gophert

redarrow's right.  I don't think you can mix and match the 2 3/4 receiver with a 3" barrel and shoot 3" out of it.  My suggestion would be to try the Federal Heavy Weight #7's in 2 3/4.  I have patterned them from my 870 for my daughter when she was younger and they are deadly out to 30 yards.  She killed her first turkey with them a couple of years ago.  Good luck!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-FEPHT256F7

Beak

From what i understand the ejector will need work to shoot 3 inch. I have a 20 gauge barrel rem choke barrel marked  two and three quarter and three inch shells. If the serial number on your shotgun ends in x this barrel will not fit. That is the trouble I am having., mine ends in an x. I thought this barrel was a good deal, bought it up north . $200.00 mistake, that wont happen again will take $ 180.00 for it. Send me a message if you are interested.

R AJ

There is also a difference in the amount of gas emitted from a 2 3/4" vs the 3" gun.
You really will be better off the seek a 3" gun or better yet just buy the 2 3/4" #7 Federal Heavy Weight  or the 2 3/4 '#7 H-13 shell. Plan on shots at 30 yds and under.

I have a 20 ga LW 1100 bbl for my 20 gauge with screw in chokes for my wife and she loves it.
I just need some dumb turkeys.