turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

goop differences?

Started by VanHelden Game Calls, January 26, 2013, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

I ran out of the marine goop I like to use, and the store only had the automotive goop in a red bottle.  I thought there was not much difference in them as they all have the same work temps, and adhesive properties on the label.

When I opened the sealed tube I noticed it seemed thicker, more gel like and it had a hard time sticking to the wood. When I seated the pcs together it seemed like there was a bond but was uneasy.  So I pulled them apart and I could roll the goop off into a snot ball. No residue left on the wood or glass.

So now I got to thinking,
Did I get a bad tube?  seems unlikely but who knows...
Are the different goops of different viscosity?
What types of goop do we as callmakers prefer.  I can say I love my marine over this stuff, can't see how I could get this through my syringe.

Maybe this is part of the problem we callmakers seem to have when we are talking application methods.

Anyone have ideas as to whether I got a bad tube, or have better knowledge of the different types?

VanHelden Game Calls

Found this now that I can't sleep tonight.

Amazing GOOP® and Craft GOOP® contain a thinner formula for precise, detailed work.
Wood & Furniture GOOP® is a thicker, non-slump formula perfect for vertical and overhead applications.
Automotive GOOP®, Household GOOP® and Plumbing GOOP® are all the same formula.
Lawn & Garden GOOP®, Marine GOOP®, RV GOOP® and Sport and Outdoor GOOP® are all UV-resistant.
Shoe GOO® is a more rubbery formula allowing for greater flexibility.

Seems I may want to try the amazing goop just for the thinner viscosity = easier application.

stone road turkey calls

Plumbers GOOP for me, have had no failures with it.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

merocustomcalls

There is a difference in the chemical make-up between the different types.  Some are more silicone based and some are more toluene based.  It's all printed in the label.  I believe amazing goop might be most similar to marine goop. 

WillowRidgeCalls

There is a sound difference between the different Goop's also. I've found the better sounding Goop were the Outdoor Goop and the Household Goop. With the different contours in how they dry, will make a huge difference in the sound of your calls. Some dry with a harder texture than others and that makes a big difference.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

selinoid44

Good info guys! I always use the Plummers Goop also.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

TRKYHTR

I have a friend that talked with a guy who works for GOOP. He said they were all made the same just labeled different so they could sale to different groups. Don't know if thats true or not. I have used 2 different types and couldn't tell the difference.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Addicted to Gobblin

I got a tube of amazing goop and I can't really tell that much difference. The consistency is almost the same and I can't tell any difference in the sound.