OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will the hevi #7's Kill at 40yards?

Started by Thomas6689, January 21, 2013, 09:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

thanks for the replies i may have to try a box now. :)

runngun

They will kill every Turkey that walks on God's green earth, if you do yo part!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

BandedSpur

Uh-Oh. Somebody done mentioned a shot beyond 40 yds. Look out.  :angel9:

teke

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Skeeterbait on January 22, 2013, 09:00:22 AM
A number 7 heavy shot has the retained energy of a lead 5 at 40 yards.  In addition to that the smaller diameter 7 penetrates better.  In addition to that you are likely to put 3-4 heavy 7 pellets in a vital area for every one lead 5.  There is no such thing as "knock down power" in small shot.  The issue is whether it will penetrate bone and how many pellets are in a vital area.

Give that guy an A for the day!   :z-winnersmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's why I like shooting 7's.  Now tell me how could any bird survive that pattern.  And that was tape measured to exactly 40yds. 

pdaugherty

They will kill at 40yds with no problem, i misjudged a bird last year and killed him at 52yds with #7 2oz H13. I wouldn't have taken the shot if I'd known it was that far. It smashed that gobbler either way. Just like other members have posted as long as you have a clean open shot you will be good. What choke tube are you using?

reflexl

I shot a very nice bird last year with Heavy 7 out of my BPS with the Indian creek tube at exactly 40 yards. DRT. Only problem I have with the Heavy 7 loads is they impact low from the bps. I haven't scoped the gun or put sights on it and don't plan to. Even though they put the smack down on the bird the impact point is going to make me use another load in that gun. reflexl

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: pdaugherty on January 24, 2013, 11:26:22 AM
They will kill at 40yds with no problem, i misjudged a bird last year and killed him at 52yds with #7 2oz H13. I wouldn't have taken the shot if I'd known it was that far. It smashed that gobbler either way. Just like other members have posted as long as you have a clean open shot you will be good. What choke tube are you using?

Star Dot .676

No choke I have tried with the 835 will touch it when the temp is 60 degrees or warmer with the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads. 

allaboutshooting

The Hevi-13 and SSX chokes for the 835 do an excellent job with #7 shot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tom Foolery

I've shot the Hevi7's for a few years now and caught some grief from a few friends about them not being enough.  These are the same guys that say the .300 Win Mag is the minimum for our 150lb whitetails at 50yds also.

Last season a friend and I were hunting, I had the Hevi #7's and he had his bare minimum Xtended Range #4's.  I called in a bird to around 25yds and he killed it.  It flopped and flipped and had about 10 pellets in it's head/neck.  In just a bit we got on another and called it in, I misjudged it a bit, north of 40yds, and that bird hit the ground like a brick.  It flipped it's wings some but was done when we got there.  It looked like it had a bad case of chicken pocks as it was just covered with pellet holes. 

His response, "holy s***, I got to get me some 7's!"

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 23, 2013, 11:18:45 PM
Here's why I like shooting 7's.  Now tell me how could any bird survive that pattern.  And that was tape measured to exactly 40yds. 

And I'll heartilly second ILIKEHEVI-13 and say, what bird...ON EARTH is going to make it through this pattern...unless that bird happened to have gotten shot at by MY OLD MAN last year!!!   :TooFunny:  That poor sapling he literally EXPLODED 8 yards off the muzzle didn't do a thing to him...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

nate12285