OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will the hevi #7's Kill at 40yards?

Started by Thomas6689, January 21, 2013, 09:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas6689

I love the patterns that everyone is getting with the 7s but im concerned that they might not have the knock down power on longer shots.  The last thing i want to do is wound a bird and not be able to recover him.  Has anyone had any experiences with the longer shots good or bad?

whiskey

40 hasn't been a problem for me. I've stretch passed that with a little poor yardage judgement and they still killed well.

BandedSpur

Every turkey every time at 40 if you do your part (to include not shooting through brush as you of course shouldn't with any shell).

dirt road ninja

It will kill them everytime. If they wore one of these ya might need 5's :OGturkeyhead:, but they don't. I made the switch last year with no regrets.

TauntoHawk

I've shot a few birds with the 7's all dead, I just personally feel better with the Hevi 6's at that 40yd mark. I can still get plenty of coverage on the patterning board and they just make me feel better.

The science is there, 7s kill but I like a tab bit of over kill if I can get it. I wouldnt hesitate to shoot the Federal HW 7s if they patterned a bit better and came in larger loads without the FCW

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skeeterbait

A number 7 heavy shot has the retained energy of a lead 5 at 40 yards.  In addition to that the smaller diameter 7 penetrates better.  In addition to that you are likely to put 3-4 heavy 7 pellets in a vital area for every one lead 5.  There is no such thing as "knock down power" in small shot.  The issue is whether it will penetrate bone and how many pellets are in a vital area. 

Ruger M77

I shot 2 birds last year with 7s but they were at 30 and 35yds. I have no doubt they would kill at 40
I eat therefore I hunt

stinkpickle

Hevi #7s at 40 yards???   Does a bear sh#t in the woods?     ;D

Turkeykiller12

I've killed a few with the #7's since switching. I've never had a problem with this load being a killer.

Sent from this thang that takes pictures, calls people and gets on Internet hunting forums.

63beards

Killed one last year at a tape measured 51 yds. Hevi-shot  7's in a 20 gauge. Normally wouldn't shoot that far, bird had seen me and was leaving, last weekend of season, videod the hunt, all you can see is a black dot until i get up and walk to him.
71 beards

vtmchunter

Yes, indeed.  I shot all 3 of my gobblers last year with Hevi-13 #7's. 35-40 yards.  I'd rather not have a bird too close and chance a miss.  I shot the one at 35 while he was walking in.

Spring Creek Calls

I just started shooting Hevi 7's last year. I shot a Rio long beard in a KS prairie pasture at 40 paces and it was the only bird I've ever shot that didn't move, stone dead.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

BrowningGuy88

I haven't shot a turkey with the H13 7's, but I have shot 2 coyotes with them. Both were shot out of a Winchester 1300 NWTF shooting H13 3-2-7's putting aroud 225 in the 10" at 40 yards. Both coyotes were shot between 35 and 40 yards and were dead with one shot. I mean hammered, not spinning and whining like with other loads I have used.

So yeah I think they will kill a turkey at 40.

Gold Spur

7's will kill them deader than a hammer at 40yds.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

30_06

Yup, will kill them deader than dead......if that was possible.