OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I recommend a Deep Clean No Doubt...

Started by TheSportsman, January 17, 2013, 09:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I just did a deep clean on My Browning Gold NWTF... The barrel looked like a mirror but i said what the heck and took the advice from Clark(allaboutshooting) and MAN.... i couldnt believe the stuff that came out.  Take Clarks advice and give it a try for those of you who havent done it.  Next on the list is to go on polish it.

BrowningGuy88

I deep cleaned my barrel on my 870 and my pattern numbers went up 15%. The barrel on my 1300 NWTF also showed significant improvent - right around 18% with Win HV 6's.

savduck

Georgia Boy

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Xcal1ber

How many times would the average shooter need to deep clean the barrel? After everytime you shoot? After you shoot a lot? Once a year?
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Xcal1ber on January 18, 2013, 03:09:19 PM
How many times would the average shooter need to deep clean the barrel? After everytime you shoot? After you shoot a lot? Once a year?

I deep clean every new gun before I shoot it. Then it really depends on the gun. I will either dry brush just to remove debris or use a patch wet with Hoppe's followed by a dry patch for routine cleaning only when patterns degrade. That applies to guns I shoot both in competition and in the field.

The deep cleaning process removes the gunk so it's much easier to keep the bore clean and routine cleaning is all that's really needed for the most part. A little Hoppe's on a patch followed by a dry patch will normally keep everything in shape. If however you have a rough bore you may need to use a brush and then Hoppe's.

I shoot pretty much all year and use many or most of my guns all that time. If I was through with a gun until the next season, I'd go ahead and deep clean it again, lubricate the bore (and all other necessary parts) and store it.

You can't hurt anything by using the deep cleaning process. It just removes the gunk that's present in most new gun barrels and that builds up over time in guns that we shoot. It's kind of like the patterning that we do, it's part of the fun of owning and enjoying our guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Rockhound

I deep cleaned my 10 ga last year and the patterns went to crap lol it all depends on the gun