OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Scope ?

Started by Tom Dooley, January 14, 2013, 07:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

My cousin bought a new 870 and wants to put a scope on it. What is best, drill and tap or saddle mount? Thanks in advance for your response.

chatterbox

I would go with the drill and tap personally.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gobble!

Drill and tap. I use a Bushnell Red/Green dot on mine.

allaboutshooting

While some hunters are happy with various saddle mounts, most find that having the receiver drilled and tapped is a better option.

It is very important that the smith who drills and taps the receiver have experience with those guns and that it's all straight.

One thing to remember with that 870 is that no matter if it's drilled and tapped or a saddle mount is used, the sight is on the receiver and the barrel is a separate part of the gun.

Keeping the relationship of the sight to the barrel is as important as the mount that's used for the sight.

On an 870 it's the magazine cap that holds the barrel in the receiver and if the torque is changed on that cap, it changes the relationship of the barrel to the receiver and the sight.

I recommend marking the cap and the barrel band in some way, scratch or nail polish for example, and then sighting in the gun. In that way you can make sure that the cap is always tightened to the same torque.

My best results have been to tighten the cap as tight as possible by hand and then using some padded pliers, 3-4 "clicks" after that.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Ruger M77

I say drill and tap ive been using a saddle mount on my 870 for the past two years. I've had a problem with rust underneath the mount. I hunt in the rain alot though
I eat therefore I hunt

Thomas6689

FullChoke

There is just enough metal in the receiver to drill and tap it. I would also suggest that you put Loctite on the threads of the screws holding the base to the receiver to secure them.

FC 

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.