turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 ga. build - Need Help/Opinions

Started by Extremesolo, January 11, 2013, 01:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremesolo

I am planning on building a 20 ga. 870 for my 9 year old that both he and I will be able to use.  I am looking at using a 21" barrel with a remington super full choke and either hevi or federal #7 in 3".  I am having a little trouble finding a collapsable stock for it.  I would like a knox stock but they are getting pretty scarce for the 20 ga.  I am open to suggestions on another collapsable stock.  I do not mind the remington shur-shot stocks but they are not adjustable and my son is only 60lbs so I need some adjustability.  I am planning on having it drilled/tapped and a scope base installed.  I have a burris speed dot scope in my gun safe that I plan on installing on it.  Should I have it drilled and tapped or just use a saddle scope mount?  Also what base should I purchase for mounting the scope?  I am then planning on possibly having the gun dipped in ASAT camo just for something different by a local shop that does camo dipping.  Please let me know what you think and also any recommendations or changes you would suggest.

Sand Man

I've built two of the exact gun you described with two more sitting in my safe to build.  I got lucky and grabbed two more Knoxx stocks before they became so hard to find.  I too have been trying to find one more to help a buddy with his build.  I've had zero luck.  I know ATI I believe built an adjusable stock for the Remington 870's, but I haven't had any luck finding one of those either.  Both seem to be a needle in a hay stack.

I agree though you'll need the adjustable stock for the gun to fit both you and your son.  Maybe you can find someone with a Knoxx or ATI that wants the Shur-shot and trade with them????

I'm not familiar with the speed beed scope, so I can't help on what you need to install it.  On the base, I'd go with a drilled and tapped.  The saddle mounts just don't look stable enough to me.  I was too worried about my POI on the scope changing with that mount.  That's what drove me to a solid base drilled and tapped to the receiver.

I think you are headed in the right path.  I shoot that exact gun with Rem Super Full, and it's flat deadly on turkeys.  I shoot reloads, but it's patterned factory Remington Hevi Shot 6's very well.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Extremesolo

I realized I made an error in my original post regarding the scope that I have in the safe.  It is a burris speed dot and not a speed bead.  I plan on installing the speed dot on this gun.

gophert

Its is very difficult to find a knoxx stock.  EBay may be your best bet.  Try this. Google search stocks that fit the Remington 7600 pump rifle.  Its receiver is the same size as the 870 20 ga receiver.  ATI makes an adjustable stock that may be easier to find.  You can probably buy it straight from ATI's website.  I do know it fits cause that is what I had on my 20 until I ran across the Knoxx stock. Good luck.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-stocks/240-six-position-shotgun-pistol-grip-stock.html

sent from my Tweaked Out Evo LTE

SKFOOTER

Quote from: gophert on January 11, 2013, 07:46:51 PM
Its is very difficult to find a knoxx stock.  EBay may be your best bet.  Try this. Google search stocks that fit the Remington 7600 pump rifle.  Its receiver is the same size as the 870 20 ga receiver.  ATI makes an adjustable stock that may be easier to find.  You can probably buy it straight from ATI's website.  I do know it fits cause that is what I had on my 20 until I ran across the Knoxx stock. Good luck.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/tactical-stocks/240-six-position-shotgun-pistol-grip-stock.html

Tim, does this ATI stock have the recoil reduction feature?? :OGturkeyhead:

gophert

Quote from: SKFOOTER on May 23, 2013, 10:28:25 PM
Quote from: gophert on January 11, 2013, 07:46:51 PM

Tim, does this ATI stock have the recoil reduction feature?? :OGturkeyhead:

The one I had did not however they do come with a really nice recoil pad.

SKFOOTER

Do you know anything about the Knoxx SpecOps stock that Remington has for the 20 gauge 870??

gophert

Quote from: SKFOOTER on May 24, 2013, 02:18:48 PM
Do you know anything about the Knoxx SpecOps stock that Remington has for the 20 gauge 870??

Well, I have the knoxx on both of my 20's now.  It took me a while to find the 2nd one.  They are the best, but are no longer made for the 20.  Your only chance is eBay, but get ready to empty your wallet.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE

bowmike

If you are going to get the knoxx with recoil reduction why not just get a 12 ga. I just put one on my 870 express in 12 ga. I will let you know how much the recoil is reduced. I am just think that why not get a gun that he will want for a long time. I know that the weight of a 12 compared to a 20 is a bit heavier, but might be worth it in the long run. I was also planning on starting to save pennies to get a 20 gage for my son when he is old enough but depending on how well this stock reduces recoil i may end up just getting him the 12.

allaboutshooting

I'd recommend that you look at the ATI AKITA adjustable hunting stock. It has all of the adjustment of the tactical stock, 12 3/8" to 14 3/8" an adjustable cheek piece and the best recoil pad I've seen anywhere.

Doris and I both have them on our 20 gauge 870s, I have one on a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 and on several 12 gauge 870s as well as a Winchester 1300. I can't find anything better.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gophert

Quote from: bowmike on July 25, 2013, 11:15:52 AM
If you are going to get the knoxx with recoil reduction why not just get a 12 ga. I just put one on my 870 express in 12 ga. I will let you know how much the recoil is reduced. I am just think that why not get a gun that he will want for a long time. I know that the weight of a 12 compared to a 20 is a bit heavier, but might be worth it in the long run. I was also planning on starting to save pennies to get a 20 gage for my son when he is old enough but depending on how well this stock reduces recoil i may end up just getting him the 12.

I had an 870 SM with the knoxx stock, and even though it helped with recoil, it was no where near the small recoil of the 20 ga.  I initially bought an 870 20ga with the knoxx stock for my 9 yr old daughter.  Once I started loading TSS, I realized that light 20 ga would out perform that 12 ga and with hardly any recoil.  It was a match made in heaven.  So, I bought me one and sold the 12.  I had no issues with 870 12, just preferred the lighter 20 ga youth model with the adjustable knoxx stock.