OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870 20g Youth 21 inch barrel - Suggestions

Started by gophert, February 07, 2011, 04:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

I am purchasing this gun for my 10 yr old daughter.  Since the site got wiped this past weekend, any suggestions on choke/ammo combinations would be great. 

bowhunter32

the standard answer goes somethin like this...remington sf non ported choke .570 ed ..fed hw #7 guys get from 100 -150 hits 40 yrds 20" circle :z-guntootsmiley:..first of all you need to deep clean the barrel and choke..also you can polish the barrel..great post on how this is done on here..  its amazing what this gun can do...also can try ssx choke from clark bush he says that choke does very well w/ those loads also..you can find the remington choke for $9.99 @ midwest gun works i just ordered it shipping will cost $7 :lol:..anyway hope this helps.... good luck and good shootin :z-guntootsmiley:

surehuntsalot

same ammo Federal HW #7's ,but I use a Carlson .575 and a GSX .565 choke in my 870 youth
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hookedspur

I have one that shoots 150+ with a Pure Gold 555 and H=13 #7s .I have a IC 555 coming that I think will top 200 with Nitro #7.The barrel has been polished also .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hookedspur

:cross2:I just reread your post and see the gun is for a 10 year old Beard Buster so I too would go with the Remington SF and the FED HW 7s.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

300Mag

I just ordered a hastings 562 to see what it will do with the HW7's. I shot a SSX550 last year with the HW's and it shot real bad. The SSX did shoot the hevi13 7's good though. I hope the hastings choke works good because I have a bunch of the HW's this year.

TrkyHntr

Quote from: 300Mag on February 10, 2011, 09:37:46 PM
I just ordered a hastings 562 to see what it will do with the HW7's. I shot a SSX550 last year with the HW's and it shot real bad. The SSX did shoot the hevi13 7's good though. I hope the hastings choke works good because I have a bunch of the HW's this year.
I shoot the hastings .562 in my 870 with a 21" barrel. I got in the 170's with the fed hw #7's.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

gophert

Where are you guys getting the Federal HW #7's?  I have searched all over the web and they are all out of stock. 

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gophert

Quote from: davisd9 on February 11, 2011, 08:50:35 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=598499

Best price that I have found.

Thanks.  I did check them out yesterday but they are backordered til march just like everwhere else.  Looks like I may have to put the order in and keep searching. 

SKFOOTER

Dunn's Sporting Goods has them @ $15.99 a box with free shipping.  Go to their website.

gophert

killer

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 11, 2011, 11:13:59 AM
Dunn's Sporting Goods has them @ $15.99 a box with free shipping.  Go to their website.

Thank you sir, this is cheaper than an of the local stores and free shipping.  I placed my order today.

FullChoke

Dunn's Sporting Goods has them @ $15.99 a box with free shipping.  Go to their website.
What do you enter on Dunn's website for Free Shipping?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke

Quote from: killer on February 11, 2011, 01:15:42 PM
Dunn's Sporting Goods has them @ $15.99 a box with free shipping.  Go to their website.

Thank you sir, this is cheaper than an of the local stores and free shipping.  I placed my order today.

This might be too late, but hold up on placed the order today!

Federal has a rebate that requires purchases to be made between February 15th and May 31st. You can get $15.00 back for purchasing 2 of the 5 count boxes of these shells. http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP580_TurkeyRebateCoupon.pdf

You might qualify for a free Federal ammo camo hat as well.  http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP581_MagShokHatCoupon.pdf

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.