OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835?

Started by Tom Dooley, December 18, 2012, 08:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2012, 05:23:42 PM
I bought a new 835 at Wal Mart this morning. $359 + tax. 24" barrel. It has a very nice trigger on it. With this trigger I dont see the need for the LPA trigger of the Turkey Thug. I looked down the barrel with a light and didnt see any blemishes. It was smooth and shiney. I just need to get me a choke now.

Congratulations! That's a great gun. I would recommend that you "deep clean" it. The cleaning process just removes any gunk that may be in it for shipping or during the manufacturing process. It uses solvent, Hoppe's #9 is what I use, and a good brass/bronze brush. It can't do anything but help your barrel.

There are a variety of good chokes for your gun. I have had excellent results in mine and my 935 with both the Hevi-13 choke and the SSX. They have different designs but both work very well with all of the Hevi-13 shot products as well as with lead loads.

Again, I hope you enjoy your gun as much as I've enjoyed mine over the years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tom Dooley

I have a pretty big stash of the old white Hevi Shot. Any suggestions on what choke would get the best patterns with this? Thanks

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2012, 09:12:40 PM
I have a pretty big stash of the old white Hevi Shot. Any suggestions on what choke would get the best patterns with this? Thanks

The SSX does a great job with the OW shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

If they are 3in then a Pure Gold will be hard to beat, if 3.5 in the Indian Creek should be a winner.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Dooley

Thanks for the replys. The ones I have are 3in, #6 shot. There are alot of good chokes, its hard to decide which one to pull the trigger on. I only plan on buying one choke so I better get it right.

davisd9

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2012, 10:26:33 PM
Thanks for the replys. The ones I have are 3in, #6 shot. There are alot of good chokes, its hard to decide which one to pull the trigger on. I only plan on buying one choke so I better get it right.

Personally I would try my luck on the Pure Gold. They have a 30 day money back if you are not satisfied with the results. Hard to beat that.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gobbler74

Pure Gold or Indian Creek for the Mossberg. It will save you a lot of looking and shell testing.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

mightyjoeyoung

I had excellent results from the new TruGlo .670 Bone Collector choke last spring.  With 3.5" straight  #7 Hevi Shot, my 835 printed up 355 in the 10" with an unreal, even and densly distributed pattern out to the 20".  I shot some 3.5" and 3" 6's through it as well and got rediculously good patterns too.  It also really liked the Fed HW 7's as well.  For the money, it performed far above my expectations.  Like others have also said, you can't go wrong with Pure Gold or the TG SSX either!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Tom Dooley

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on December 29, 2012, 10:11:58 AM
I had excellent results from the new TruGlo .670 Bone Collector choke last spring.  With 3.5" straight  #7 Hevi Shot, my 835 printed up 355 in the 10" with an unreal, even and densly distributed pattern out to the 20".  I shot some 3.5" and 3" 6's through it as well and got rediculously good patterns too.  It also really liked the Fed HW 7's as well.  For the money, it performed far above my expectations.  Like others have also said, you can't go wrong with Pure Gold or the TG SSX either!

Do you remember the numbers you got with the 3" 6's? Also have you heard of how anyone else has done with this choke?

GUITARMAN

HEY FOLKS MAYBE I PURCHASED A LEMON 835 FROM THE DAY I BOUGHT IT DIDNT WORK RIGHT ... I AM NOT AN EXPERT BUT, WOULD KILL A TURKEY IF YOU DONT NEED A SECOND SHOT. GOOD LUCK GUYS AND HAPPY HUNTING....

davisd9

835s kill a bunch of turkeys in the woods. Hard to find a gun that will out pattrn one with the right setup.

DirtNap647

i to purchased my 835 from walmart same gun you have mine likes pure gold with 3 1/2" 7shot ic was just a lil behind on the 7's but shot the 3 1/2" 6shot better dont hurt to get them both... imagine be the same for 3" too

jim570

I have the PG .670 in my 835 and it throws really good numbers.
My son has a 935 with the IC Black Diamond Strike .675 and it also throws really good numbers.  Both guns 3.5" using Hevi 7 1/2.

Had an old Rem. 870 that I wanted to use for turkey.  Clark recommended the SSX for it.  It shot  excellent patterns using 3" Hevi 7 1/2 and was much less expensive than the chokes on the Mossy's.  Listen to Clark for very good advice.  Might have saved some money if I had known about the SSX before I got the chokes for the Mossy's.

Tom Dooley

Shooting the old whites I am pretty sure I am going with the SSX. I am also considering the Bone Collector choke after seeing the results mightyjoeyoung had with it.

devin4484

Find some used chokes on here and get a variety.  You cant really go wrong with any quality choke in an 835.