OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835?

Started by Tom Dooley, December 18, 2012, 08:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

I am considering buying a 835 from a friend. It is around 10 years old. It is realtree camo, comes with a Comp & Choke, a scope(Bass Pro I think) and a Sims recoil pad. He asked $300 for it. Is this a good deal? Also, how would old white hevi pattern in the Comp & Choke?

davisd9

Bought mine brand new for $350.  I did put a different choke in her, put on a scope, and added a limbsaver.  What is the barrel length?  I would look down the barrel and make sure that it is in good shape.  I have seen a plain used one go for anywhere from 200 to 250 so with the extras I would say it is not a bad price.  I would break it down and look it over, but might would offer 275 and see what he would do.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Dooley

Quote from: davisd9 on December 18, 2012, 09:26:33 PM
Bought mine brand new for $350.  I did put a different choke in her, put on a scope, and added a limbsaver.  What is the barrel length?  I would look down the barrel and make sure that it is in good shape.  I have seen a plain used one go for anywhere from 200 to 250 so with the extras I would say it is not a bad price.  I would break it down and look it over, but might would offer 275 and see what he would do.  Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I think 24" barrel. Where did you Get one for $350?

davisd9

Walmart.  It has a 24" barrel as well.

What it looked like when I bought it:

What it looks like now:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

If it's in good shape, it's not a bad price. I paid 350.00 for my 20" barrelled 835 with a scope, used.
I also made some changes, adding a SumToy choke, limbsaver pad, and took the scope off, and replaced it with a FFIII.
They are great guns! Good luck!

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 18, 2012, 08:39:18 PM
I am considering buying a 835 from a friend. It is around 10 years old. It is realtree camo, comes with a Comp & Choke, a scope(Bass Pro I think) and a Sims recoil pad. He asked $300 for it. Is this a good deal? Also, how would old white hevi pattern in the Comp & Choke?

I would offer $250 for it with cash in his face. He could keep the scope the if it makes him feel better. I hate to look like I'm on an 835 high. But it is a bigger difference. Even if you're shooting lead.

4 Words
DO IT, DO IT
If Silence Is Golden, Why is Duct Tape Silver?

Tom Dooley

Really thinking about going to Wal-Mart. Getting a brand new 835 for $350 sounds like a good deal to me.

dravis66

Doesn't sound like bad deal at all...I did pick up my 835 for $330-$350 on sale at Wal-Mart.  Limb Saver recoil pad is a must, but either way, you get a lot of gun for not much money.

Tom Dooley

Quote from: dravis66 on December 22, 2012, 02:21:53 PM
Doesn't sound like bad deal at all...I did pick up my 835 for $330-$350 on sale at Wal-Mart.  Limb Saver recoil pad is a must, but either way, you get a lot of gun for not much money.

I only plan on shooting 3" shells. Will I still need a Limbsaver?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 22, 2012, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: dravis66 on December 22, 2012, 02:21:53 PM

I only plan on shooting 3" shells. Will I still need a Limbsaver?

I'd recommend one with whatever shells you choose to shoot. They really help a lot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

davisd9

The recoil pad on it is suffient but the limbsaver is worth the money.  It calms the recoil a bit.

dravis66

Even with 3" loads, the Limbsaver will be money well spent, imo.

gobblingghost

Comp n choke is not rated for Hevi shot according their website

Tom Dooley

I bought a new 835 at Wal Mart this morning. $359 + tax. 24" barrel. It has a very nice trigger on it. With this trigger I dont see the need for the LPA trigger of the Turkey Thug. I looked down the barrel with a light and didnt see any blemishes. It was smooth and shiney. I just need to get me a choke now.

davisd9

Quote from: Tom Dooley on December 27, 2012, 05:23:42 PM
I bought a new 835 at Wal Mart this morning. $359 + tax. 24" barrel. It has a very nice trigger on it. With this trigger I dont see the need for the LPA trigger of the Turkey Thug. I looked down the barrel with a light and didnt see any blemishes. It was smooth and shiney. I just need to get me a choke now.

You will love it. Love mine.  Have heard that the Indian Creek .675 works great in the gun Hevi-Shot 3.5 in, 2.25 oz, #6s. Have also heard great things about the Jellyhead and Mag Blends. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2