Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Small Makers Doing A Sideshow In During NWTF Convention?

Started by Turkey Trot, December 16, 2012, 02:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGobbler

It's done everyday with all shows everywhere.just because its the NWTF that's doing a show means no different. As far as being disrespectful and making money off their hard work,that's a bunch of crap.Look again at who is pocketing all the money LOL

Gooserbat

As a call maker I pay to play.  I've never went to Nationals simply because of the cost.  I do however attend 3 or 4 state/regional expos and the tabels usualy run $400-$550 per show.  Simple math is you need to triple the cost of the table to make it worth while. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

pappy

I have to throw I my 2 cents...... number one...I would love to set up one day at the Nationals but till I can justify the expense that day will nee'r be close for me. Number two....should call makers not sitting in a booth inside the Convention Center sell their wares under the same roof, I would not.....Why? Because I do respect the call makers "CUSTOM CALL MAKERS" who spent their hard earned dollars and time creating their calls and respect their investing those same dollars in order to be seen and heard by numerous people at a function of this magnitude. Would I feel like I am black marketing my calls if I sold out side the building? Of course not, I sell my calls where ever I get the chance, but as far as setting up a "private" booth somewhere within the confines of the Gaylord while the NWTF is promoting our craft and beloved sport....nope not me.  Now don't get me wrong, I do get aggravated when I see companies that sell millions in calls that are made in China and Thailand promoting their wares in the same building as the custom call makers......taking up to ten spaces at 1200.00 a space ..... then taking everything off as business expenses during tax time....while the lowly single call maker has to scrape the ground for every dime just to make head way in their expenses....who profits from this?  Who loses?
I am persuaded to continue to make my calls because I love the sport and the opportunity to put a good quality call into a hunter's hand at an affordable price, a little more pricy the WalMart or Bass Pro or some of the other China based call companies, but my calls as I am sure the calls of other custom call makers, are USA made with pride and we should have the right to display and sell our wares without second thought.....outside the convention center. 
I am going to be staying in the Gaylord, spending 300.00 on a room and most likely 100.00 to 150.00 in meals and 125.00 in gas and that is before I even step foot into the convention center...am I competing against the NWTF? Nope....just China and Thailand...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Remember, when you guys that are against violating the nwtf air space with a small call makers show, as you are there meeting and greeting people' don't hand out any business cards. if you sell your calls across the street or out of your wallet  there's no difference.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

shadetree callers

As someone who has been on both sides of the fence , this is my take on it . I am a longtime sponsor and member of the NWTF and I donate many calls to chapters as well as to the competitions also. I have had a booth at Nationals and I have sold from my room also. While the NWTF is a great organization , they are geared toward the money involved in the convention . Booth prices are so high now that unless you produce hundreds of calls to sell there , you cannot come out on top . Before you jump on callmakers who sell without a booth , you must understand that some of the top callmakers in the country do business that way . Even some of the top names in the business can't all afford a booth to sell just a handful of calls . As far as a group getting together in a booth , the NWTF does not allow more than one dealer to advertise in a booth , you could group up but only one guy will be able to display his name in the booth . That is done to keep the small guys from banding together to save money . If you have never been to the Gaylord and experienced the costs involved with showing or even staying there then you cant possibly tell someone else what is "right " or " wrong" about selling calls in nashville . Now I don't suggest that anyone sells in front of someone else's booth , there are always places to step out and run calls or you can step into a friend's booth to do business if they allow you to do so . I love the mission of the NWTF and I support it 100% . That said , the federation does not look out for the small callmakers which are a big part of the draw at the show . The booths are priced out of most callmakers budget and are geared toward the big companies which can purchase multiple booths IMO , ten callmakers set up in individual booths will draw more people than ONE big company setting up in 10 booths . Many of us , myself included , go to the show to see and run custom calls , not to visit the big booths like Remington or Yamaha .
Jusy my 2 cents worth .

pappy

You know I never thought about the big group of makers under one name thing...of course I am sure it is that way to keep confusion down as to billing and so forth. BUT......one thing I just thought about is if there were a group of callmakers who wanted to sit in a space under one name, just rent it under the site you are a memebr of. I saw this last couple years where a group of memeber got together and rented a space, set up calls from several call makers....they were selling calls too, as well as visiting and promoting their site. Now that is just an idea.....I am sure you would need approval from the site adminstrator to use the site's name. But if yu are looking to setup in the Convention Center and can't afford it, like me, this would conquer one battle....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

BOB_HARWELL

Selling calls in the convention center without a Tenn. State Tax Vendors License can get you in big trouble. Tax Commission are there watching for this.

Bob

Turkey Trot

In my opening post and follow up, I specified off the Opryland grounds.

I don't think it would be couth to set up on the grounds to do it.  But it would make a great meet and greet and an opportunity to actually talk to makers and hear the calls.  The main show floor gets so crowded and loud that it is tough to hear well and make good choices.  I try to get there early and get out before it gets so crowded.  I can only take about 4-5 hours of it, and a lot of others say the same thing.  The amount of money involved in such a sideshow would be fairly nominal anyway and not hurt anyone, particularly if the expo hall is booked/filled with booths and packed with people. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

merocustomcalls

I'll tell ya what I'd like to see.  Since the Opryland is such a huge complex.  Why couldn't they have one of their big rooms devoted to the smaller operation custom call makers.  They could leave the giant double booths for the big dogs on the main convention floor.  But what about one of the other big rooms with small booths, at a lesser cost, maybe $500 per booth.  I'd be willing to bet they could fill it right up and it would get plenty of traffic. 

Addicted to Gobblin

I agree with you Brian. Everyone would benefit from that in the end, small call makers get some publicity and the NWTF gets their money.   

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: merocustomcalls on January 23, 2013, 12:59:21 PM
I'll tell ya what I'd like to see.  Since the Opryland is such a huge complex.  Why couldn't they have one of their big rooms devoted to the smaller operation custom call makers.  They could leave the giant double booths for the big dogs on the main convention floor.  But what about one of the other big rooms with small booths, at a lesser cost, maybe $500 per booth.  I'd be willing to bet they could fill it right up and it would get plenty of traffic.

I'd be willing to bet they could fill it right up and it would get plenty of traffic.

that's exactly what would happen, and i along with 95% of the other turkey hunters would be there spending the $75.00 that moma said we could spend on a call. not up there looking at a $30.000 dolar outboard motor, a four weeler and a $3.000 dollar guided hunt. man there would be a riot between the big boys and nwtf, don't see that happening. just my 2 cents worth.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Muck

People on both sides of the discussion bring up several good points. 

Regardless whether you are running a side show across town or out your room are you not , in part, capitalizing on the marketing efforts of the national show to draw patrons? Isn't that promotion part of benefit of having booth space at the show?  From my perspective the issue is over who cultivated the collective audience.  These shows are all about promoting and marketing.

Why not organize a cyber show right hear on the OG website? Start a special thread, limit it to just photos & sound clips to showcase custom calls.  Make it special in some way that it's only available for a limited time.

For what it's worth.  Just a thought from someone sitting in the back row.
Muck

VanHelden Game Calls

Do what you wish, do you think the large manufacturers started out that way?  Do you really think they played by all the rules and that they never tried to sell under the counter? 

There successful because they found ways to market there products and get it to the masses. While they may frown now at competition there own past is far from clean. 

If you are willing to take the steps to forward your business be strong enough to handle the negatives. But in the end selling calls to individuals at shows is not going to make you rich and the negatives will out weigh the positives.  I think if you really want to become something you will need to get in stores, start local and as $ permits grow and make connections.

What I see is a business opportunity  for someone business minded.  We are all manufacturers and few of us have the drive or know how to be retailers. We need a retailer to form a co-op. This co-op can provide purchasing power for members, web-site and marketing help at discounted rates, and provide booth space for members.  Of course members will have to realize they must compete against each other at the same table but its a necessary evil to have a spot at the table.

LBA

if your calls are worth a salt then you should have no trouble selling with a booth in tn.what i see in this thread is a bunch of "callmakers" that dont actually believe in their calls and bunch of excuses