OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Y'all be carfull in the shop

Started by Basser69, December 14, 2012, 12:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

Long story short, one of the kids hollered at me in the shop as I was was backing out a bit in a blank. I lookied down just in time to see the chuck pulling out of the tailstock. I just know it got real interesting as I see a couple of pounds of steel running at about 1700 rpm's. No one was hurt but from now on, 100% total attention on what I am doing!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

misfire

Did something similiar a few weeks back. Jacobs chuck came spinning out of the tail stock with a 1/4 bit in it, and then politely plunked me in the head. Didnt feel all that good come to think of it. But atleast it hit me in the head and not somewhere important :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

callmakerman

My wife and kids have been told to never call to me while I'm working with power tools. If it's a phone call or something else it can wait a few till I'm done.  It takes less than a second for something bad to happen if you loose your focus and I know as it has happened to me.

TRKYHTR

I have a nice scar on my hand from something similar. My wife came into the shop and yelled something. As I looked up to see what she was doing my hand slowly eased into the turning piece of rough walnut I was trying to make into a pot call.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

lightsoutcalls

My only major shop mishap occurred not from being distracted, but stubborn.  After 2 attempts to cut a channel into a small piece of walnut on my router and having it thrown across the shop... I tried a third time.  My left index finger is living proof that machines don't have a preference of wood over flesh.  I have a really ugly fingernail, an oddly tapered fingertip and reduced feeling in that finger a couple of years later.  I feel blessed to still have a usable finger, and still prefer not to use that router if I can avoid it. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Old Gobbler

Thats a rule with me , nobody is allowed to say anything to me if I am operating any of my equipment , especially the lathes , saws , etc...

Its almost worth it to lock the door to the shop while your in there
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

eaglea1

I have the same rule, as well as photo eyes connected to the entrance to my shop with a small
flashing strobe wired to the photoeyes. All this after being startled by the wife one day cutting
with the bandsaw and a few stitches. :angry9: No more surprises now...

TarheelTurk

Glad you and anyone else wasn't hurt too awful bad . I agree and will implement several of the "shop rules " from now on
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Basser69

Quote from: TarheelTurk on January 11, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
"shop rules " from now on

That was the first time I have ever had and try to get my attention while I was running a tool. But from now own, I will have the same rule while tools are running

Gawhitaker

Sure happens quick to, glad you were'nt hurt