turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Crystal verses Glass

Started by 870BkWht, February 07, 2011, 03:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I know that crystal usually has a higher pitch than glass, but what are the other important differences between glass and crystal.  Is crystal a synthetic material, like a plastic, or is it fragile like glass.  Also while on the subject, what is bronzed glass and what are your opinions on it?

Thanks
Ben

WillowRidgeCalls

Crystal is all glass, it is a harder glass than plain glass which is why it sounds better. Between the three, Crystal, Bronze glass, Glass, I like the Bronze glass for sound the best, it's a very hard glass that has great sound quality, and adds a little more charactor to the call.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

magnoliagamecalls

I have use the so called crystal and plain glass and havent found much difference except the price. I think it matters as far as sound is how a call is built. JMO

Here is the properties of the so called crystal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass

Regular glass or Sodalime properties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda-lime_glass

savduck

I can tell a difference between the sound of Crystal and Glass. I prefer a crystal over a glass.

Hallloran makes a glass call that can challenge a crystal
Georgia Boy

triune

I tend to think that all three have different properties and for me, the bronze glass is the easiest to play.  When looking at glass from the edge it will have a green tint and the crystal will be just that, crystal clear.  As for the bronze glass, it will look brown from the edge.  The call maker will influence the sound by how they build the call and its up to you to choose the one that you feel gives you the best chance to fill your tag.  I don't own a crystal call but have played several and really like the sounds coming off this surface.
kenny

magnoliagamecalls

What I have been told is the clearer crystal glass is clear because it has less impurities in it making it clearer. The regular glass is green because you can see the impurities. I think the bronze is tinted. I dont know the properties of it and have never tried any. I do like the looks of it though. But it looks to come in several tints.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=bronze+glass&cp=9&wrapid=tljp1297144544625018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=3tpQTY35EMqugQePiYG-CA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQsAQwBQ&biw=991&bih=583

As far as crystal being harder it actually says is less dense than regular glass.

headcrusher

Quote from: magnoliagamecalls on February 07, 2011, 08:12:56 PM
I think it matters as far as sound is how a call is built. JMO

I agree with you 100%.

Both crystal and the standard glasses can make excellent calls.

lightsoutcalls

My personal opinion...

You can't truthfully make a blanket statement saying that a given surface sounds better than another surface.  For example, "crystal sounds better than glass".  I know, I'm a little OCD and a stickler for accuracy in wording.  That said, any surface will only sound as good as the pot, or pot design it is placed in.  Honestly, my pot design does not work as well for crystal as it does for clear or bronze glass.  I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but my glass calls have taken awards at Midwest the 2 years I have entered, so I feel like that gives some validity to my pot design for glass calls.  When I get an order for a crystal call, I often try to talk the buyer into going with glass or bronzed glass instead.  If they insist on crystal, I will make it, but I feel better about making calls with the other surfaces mentioned.  I really like to find out what kind of sound the buyer is looking for and work from there on suggesting a pot material, surface and soundboard that will help get them to the sound they want to hear. 
    That said, there are a number of callmakers that post hear regularly that can build you a call that will produce the sound you are looking for. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Heller

I like bronzed glass and glass. I can't seem to get the consistency with crystal as I can with glass

Tbrom

This is going to sound nuts. My wife has an old canopy bed. If I run one of my pot calls while sitting on the bed and get a ping sound after calling (I am assuming frequency) the calls seem to really get a bird to respond. Not all crystal or glass or any other single type call will produce the ping sound. I also use different strikers with different results. That being said I think that any call that you personally feel confident in is going to be more effective. There are so many variables that it is tough to single a material out as to have an advantage over another. In one situation it may while in another it will not.