Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on mini jet and mini grizzly lathes?

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, December 02, 2012, 09:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

Wanting to buy a new small lathe and I hear good things about these mini lathes. Which brand do you run any info is appreciated. I think either are good lathes but the jets seem a little higher for what I don't really know. I have a large delta but just want a mini for other things.

misfire

I have a Jet VS mini and love it. I especially like the variable speed dial. No experience with the Grizzly, but I do have two Grizzly tools ( 10" Hybrid cabinet saw and 14" bandsaw ) and am well pleased with both
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Lonehowl

I have a couple Jets, been very good. Had em for 10-12 years now. If I had to look for a new mini lathe today, theres a lot of choices. Turncrafters are supposed to be good, Lagunas, Deltas, etc. Dont know about the Grizzleys, although they are probly just rebranded Jets or Deltas? I Bought a mini-metal lathe from them and its the same one everyone sells. I think almost all of them are made in the same factory overseas.
If I had the dough, Id get a Oneway 1224, or whatever the small lathe is from them.

ol bob

Find you a used Hardgine on ebay you won't live long enough to wear it out,I have run one 16 years and not spent one cent on it. you can get then for under 1000.

Houndstooth Game Calls

I talked to a fella that has burn up 2 motors in his jet but he uses those jets like nothing else he said the thing that was the best was they had 5yr warranties and each time he burnt a motor up they had him one in 5days. Grizzlies warranty is a year not knocking them at all. Only thing he told me on the 14 was he like to bore on the lathe and he had to get a bed extension that I really don't want can you bore grunts and duck calls ok and not have to have a extension on the 10x14 jet?

Lonehowl

Yes. Assuming your design(length) of the call is not super long. I have burned up one motor in 12 years. Turned LOTS of calls in that time. You can find aftermarket replacement parts much cheaper then you can get em from Jet, and just as good. I abuse my main Jet lathe, turning sanding and finishing tons of predator calls every year and it is still ticking. Motor and head bearings are about the only things that can go wrong and both easy to replace.
Mark

Houndstooth Game Calls

Well I went ahead and ordered the 12x20 jet think it will be a work horse. Set it up with a barracuda 2 chuck and 3 mini carbide tip cutting tools! The damage has been done thanks to all the replies..

lightsoutcalls

I think you will be more than happy with the Jet lathe.  I have 2 Jet VS mini lathes.  My older one, about 7 years old, I have set up with head and tail stock for turning strikers.  I have my newer mini, about 5 years old, set up with a faceplate for turning pot calls.  The older one has turned hundreds of pots and at least 2,000 strikers.  The newer one has over 1,000 pots turned on it and going strong.  I have replaced the bearings in the headstock and the drive spindle on the older one, as well as the on/off switch.  I have replaced the on/off switch and bearings on the other one.  Both still have original motors and drive belts.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Houndstooth Game Calls

I am glad I went with the jet I am pleased with my delta also can't wait to have it on hand!!

nx95240

when i started i few yrs ago i didnot have alot of money at all. so i got a harbor freight  small lathe and turn for 2 yrs with ZERO problems. so this yr i search alot on small lathe and got a (General International 25-200M1 Variable Speed Maxi-Lathe VS +) and hope this one will last me a  long time