OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A GREAT FRIEND PASSES AWAY

Started by GOLD HUNTER, November 24, 2012, 11:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLD HUNTER

Last Thursday, November 15, 2012, I stopped by to show my good friend Herm Lee a buck I had killed with the muzzleloader. I asked him if he wanted to ride to the meathouse with me to take it to be processed.  He said yes but let's watch the news 1st.  When the news was over he stood up and had a stroke.  We called the rescue squad and they took him to the hospital. They did tests that determined he had cancer throughout his body which brought on the stroke.  He was then told that he had about a week to live.  He spent 4 days in the hospital and when I went to see him in the hospital he knew who I was but had a hard time doing physical tasks.  I talked with his granddaughter on Wednesday and she told me that he would be lucky to make it through the weekend and that if I wanted to see him before he passed on that I should come see him soon.  I then went to see him on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) and talked with him for about 2 hours.  He once again knew who I was but was very weak and we talked about old times and told old turkey stories.  I went hunting on Friday morning and received word that he had passed away that morning.  I knew Herm for 20 years and he was one of the old time turkey legends in this area.  He was a man of his word and meant what he said and said what he meant. He was a man who had no internet service, no cell phone and still used a rotary style phone.  He was truly an old timer but did believe in direct TV. Herm was 77. 

We had lots of memories of setting up on birds and being successful together. 

RIP Herm Lee
You will live in our hearts forever and will be truly missed.

I will truly miss my friend. 

Brian

allaboutshooting

Hey Brian,

I am saddened to learn of the passing of your friend but I'm also happy for you that you had the time with him that you did. He will live on in your memory.

I like to remember this quote from Cicero, "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." As long as we remember those who have passed, they never truly die.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nitro

Clark, Very well said.

Brian, sorry for the loss of your friend. Remember him well.

Royal Slam 2008

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Hognutz

My sincere condolences to you and to his family. It is never easy to lose a friend. May he rest in peace as you remember the good times that you had with him.. :cross2:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened..

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TRKYHTR

Sorry to hear of your loss Brian.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Turkey Beard

Very nice tribute for your mentor. I still have one of mine (my father-in-law) but lost my other turkey mentor many years ago. Glad you've got the memories!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

ILIKEHEVI-13

Brian,

Good friend like that are hard to find and can never be replaced.  I am truly sorry for your loss.  You'll have memories that will last a lifetime though.  Cherish those. 

And you have my sympathy.

Brad

tomstopper

Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and his family...

flintlock

Sorry to hear of his passing.  My condolences to the family and you through this time.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

jakesdad

Sorry for your loss.As someone once told me after a good friend passed..."be sad he is gone,but be glad  he was here"

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

SKFOOTER

BOFF

Sorry to read Brian.

As mentioned earlier, I'm glad you had some time with him before he passed.

God Bless,
David B.

tha bugman

this is a very tough read....I know what that feels like cause I lost my dad a year ago....gone too soon!

Uvagobbler

I am sorry for your loss. My co-worker lost his stepdaughter in the wreck on rt. 24. It has been difficult to deal with loved ones passing. It gets harder and harder for me every time I lose a family member or a close friend. My prayers and condolences go out to you and the family of your friend.

Mike and Alicia Grace