OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

17 years ago today

Started by allaboutshooting, November 18, 2012, 10:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

My father-in-law shot his first and only deer on his 83rd birthday. I'd built him a ground blind on our property earlier that summer.

He grew up in Southern Illinois trapping, hunting and fishing. He and his family lived through the Great Depression and they ate most everything that he caught or shot during that time.

Later, as a husband and father who worked hard both at his "city" job and on his farm, he did not have much time for recreational hunting but he never lost his taste for wild game and always enjoyed what I shared with him.

There were no deer in this part of the world when he was growing up and they were a source of great interest to him as an adult. When he decided he'd like to hunt them, I was more than happy to be of help.

His one and only deer was a 12 point buck that was about 195 lbs. A deer of a lifetime for most folks. He never hunted deer again although like many of us, he enjoyed telling the story of the one that did not get away and showing visitiors the large rack from it. He passed away peacefully at the age of 91.

Today, I hunted from that same ground blind as I have for nearly all those years since I built it for him. It has a lot of memories for me. That's one reason I'm very content to spend time there even when I don't get a shot at a good one.

If he were still living, he'd be 100 years old and his wife would be 99 just one day after his birthday. They were great folks and the best in-laws a man could have. Plus, without them, I would not have Doris.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stone road turkey calls

Clark, what great memories your father-in-law has left you, I enjoy the same memories when i take my grandson fishing at my fathers favorite creek.

Gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

tomstopper

Its great that you have those memories and that you cherished your in laws so much. I thought that I was the only one anymore who has such a great relationship with the inlaws. Your father inlaw surely must be proud knowing that you are the man you are and that you love his daughter so much. Our loved ones may leave us, but the memories we have of them never will......

Turkey Beard

1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Eric Gregg

Thanks for sharing that Clarke....
That is definitely what life is about....great memories of time with family that can never be replaced.
That is why I say that I never want to lose my memory, because if I ever did I lose my grandfather, grandmother, and all of my friends that have been there for me. As long as I have that they live forever.