Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

out of state spring turkey hunt!! Where?

Started by Jer42, November 16, 2012, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jer42

Hello, I'm new here. Thought this would be a good forum to get some tips on where to go for an out of state hunt. I'm from west-central Illinois and want to go some where different to hunt. I'm looking for a place with a good amount of turkey (prferably not Easterns), good state land to hunt on, and maybe a state park with cabins near by to stay in. If anyone has any good ideas I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

TRKYHTR

For a change of scenery I would go to one of the western states and hunt a Merriam. Places like the Black Hills in SD. You could also look into NM or CO for some pretty good public land hunting. I would suggest TX but there are almost no public land hunting in TX which means a guide or tresspass fee. Good luck with your hunt.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring Creek Calls

I did a Black Hills DIY hunt right after I retired. Lots of room to roam and some really nice cabins. Do a search for Black Hills cabins and take your pick. There's also lots of Merriam's, which was my target bird. Good luck!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Jer42

Thanks guys!! I'm hearing a lot about Black Hills SD. Going to look into it. Do you guys have any tips on where to go there it seems like a huge place. Thanks again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Old Gobbler

Quote from: TRKYHTR on November 16, 2012, 04:32:00 PM
For a change of scenery I would go to one of the western states and hunt a Merriam. Places like the Black Hills in SD. You could also look into NM or CO for some pretty good public land hunting. I would suggest TX but there are almost no public land hunting in TX which means a guide or tresspass fee. Good luck with your hunt.

TRKYHTR
Sound advice  :you_rock: 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TRKYHTR

Quote from: Jer42 on November 17, 2012, 02:53:02 PM
Thanks guys!! I'm hearing a lot about Black Hills SD. Going to look into it. Do you guys have any tips on where to go there it seems like a huge place. Thanks again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I hunted out of Hill City SD. There is alot of public land there and I could give you some areas where we killed turkeys. You will also see more deer than you will have ever seen in your life just going to town.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck