10 (50%)
Private Land managed for Deer
3 (15%)
Public Land
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: November 25, 2012, 10:12:53 AM

Woodsman4God

I read the mention thread and I was wondering how people chased them. I have seen often times that many seem to get disinterested in deer hunting and say it isnt challenging and if there is a correlation between that and how they hunted the deer.

Thanks for responding guys as I am just curious

guesswho

I didn't vote because when I did hunt them hard it was on both private and public land.   Just to kill a deer here in Bama/Ga isn't a big deal.  To up the challenge you can target a certain deer or set size requirements.  But even with that I have no desire to chase them any longer.  I have a friend who has been trying to get me to come to Ohio and hunt his place which has it's share of big bucks, but so far I have declined.  I did go a few years ago but I opted to chase fall turkeys instead of deer.

If I do go deer hunting now it's from the ground and I'm mobile.  Me sitting in one spot waiting on a deer ain't happening anytime soon.  I guess I've lost the desire to sit in one spot in the cold more so than I have lost the desire to deer hunt.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

barry

I still find it a challenge because we manage our property to better the deer herd. We're not seeing the deer now because the mountains are full of acorns and we don't have many oaks on our farm so that has curbed my edge to go. Late season will be more productive hopefully as I still like shooting stud bucks and absolutely love to eat venison!
Here's a few my brother and I have taken over the years.

socalturkeyman

If you like being moblie than you should try mule deer hunting. I have never hunted back east but if its anything like the tv hunts you see,I wouldnt want to hunt deer either. We get to hunt big mountains and draws that are miles long and just tough to hunt. I like the big country and enjoy hunting deer the way we do out west. I voted public land.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Eric Gregg

I voted private land. When I hunted the most was when my stepdad and I were in a hunting club that had access to a lot of land....thousands of acres. People were able to spread out and you could make a day out of it. I probably never covered every square foot of that place in the 8 years I was in it. The club has since dissolved and I am limited to a small track of land that has deer on it, but being that it is small and I have pretty much covered it all it takes away from some of the "exploration" part and newness of hunting that I was used to.

I would love to go out west where it is more open and free range than what we have here in MS.
I hope by the time i get ready to retire that I can have a good chunk of my own land to manage and hunt.

stinkpickle

I have almost everything going for me.  I live in Iowa.  I have access to some decent private properties.  I can take some time from work.  I have the gear and patience to sit thru those long, boring, cold days.  It excites when I'm actually hunting.  I just no longer anticipate it like I do for turkey season.  And it's the anticipation that ultimately motivates me to get out and do something.  Of course, that all may change when the little one gets old enough to go with me.