turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Freakin waste of life poachers.

Started by Deputy 14, November 08, 2012, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

So I finally got to start my fall vacation this morning and get some much needed time away from work. I get to the river bottom where I hunt and everything was right, weather included. Once I get up my tree I wait for shooting light and get my grunt tube out. I hit one sequence of grunts and I hear something tearing through the brush at me. I get ready and sure enough 20 seconds later I have an eight point at about twelve yards. I knew he was too young to shoot for the property I was on do I just enjoyed watching him walk around pissed off at the deer that grunted at him. While I'm watching the deer he gets about 75 yards from me and steps into the briars. Here is where it gets fun. As soon as i lose sight of him I hear the distinctive crack if a 22 that sounded like it was in the tree with me and see the buck run through the food plot. So as I'm climbing down I see this idiot walking through the brush with a scoped rifle. I yelled at him and he started walking away at which time I just bail out of my stand which is still about 6 ft off the ground. Finally get to him and ask him what he was doing on posted property and why he shot at the buck with a 22. Of course he replies he never saw any of the 100 bright yellow signs he walked by, and actually had the nerve to tell me he shot toward the deer in self defense because it was going to gore him with its antlers.  Needless to say he got more tickets than he could carry in a backpack, lost his gun, and his hunting license privledges for a couple years. So after my buddy gets through writing him his book of tickets I go back to get my gear and see that he has hit the deer. So hopefully it was a flesh wound and will heal. Any way, enough of my ranting. Wish me luck this evening.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on November 08, 2012, 03:18:39 PM
Wow.  That stinks.
:agreed: But at least you got that scumbag. Hopefully he learns his lesson. Good luck tonight.

Hognutz

That is an interesting story. Luckily, you were there to witness the whole deal. Good for you!! Good luck with the rest of the hunt..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

GobbleNut

You should have pulled a Burt Reynolds Deliverance shot on his A$$.

Turkey Trot

He got more than he ever expected by pulling that in from of a deputy dawg.  That will be a good story for you to spread in the community.

It would be funny to identify his family and friends and send all of them a letter recounting what happened.  Can you imagine the crap he would catch from this about his trespassing exploits?

It would also be an opportunity to inform them that the property is hunted by LEO and they need to stay off.

We had a deputy hunting with us in S. GA and he was handy to have.  An old man lived a mile or so away and he liked to ride the roads on a 4 wheeler and shoot deer from the road.  We saw him out there, called the club member deputy whom happened to be on duty, and he cut him off in the cruiser and gave him the riot act.  We had seen 4 wheeler tracks leading from the road up the powerline R.O.W. and knew he or someone had been in there up to no good before that.  After his threat to haul the old man to jail, we did not see him riding the road by our property again.  He might have changed his pattern and we just didn't see it.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

stone road turkey calls

hopefully he learned a lesson, and never has to deal with a person like you again.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Deputy 14

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 08, 2012, 07:44:45 PM
and never has to deal with a person like you again.

Care to elaborate? Kinda feel like your saying I handled this wrong.

sugarray

I think he just meant that the guy really learned his lesson about trespassing and poaching.  You did the right thing!!!

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Deputy 14 on November 08, 2012, 08:01:15 PM
Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 08, 2012, 07:44:45 PM
and never has to deal with a person like you again.

Care to elaborate? Kinda feel like your saying I handled this wrong.

NO sir, you did what should be done to most all trespassers, and we all thank you for what you do. a unpunished crime will just happen again, how you handled it, that's a case by case thing and what i think is just my opinion.

gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Deputy 14

Misinterpreted what you said. My apologies.

Eric

captin_hook

Solid Snake

Most stories like this end with the suspect getting away without being caught....I'm glad this story had a perfect ending! Good job sir.

flintlock

What a dork and hopefully he didn't waste the buck's life. 
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!