turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Back From Illinois

Started by njdevilsb, November 05, 2012, 07:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

My dad and I booked a hunt with Eagle Lakes Outfitters at the first of the year to go on a 6 day bowhunting trip.  It started last Sunday and ended this past Friday.  Let me tell you, we had a great time.

Within the first hour of the hunt I had seen 4 bucks, watched 2 decent bucks spar with each other, and had to pass on 2 of them since they were a little under the minimum size that they have in place, 130".

The next few days were the same thing, lots of deer, mostly bucks, just a bit too small.  I did see a huge bodied buck come out right at dark with some serious head gear, but it was after shooting hours so I didn't even attempt to bring him closer since I knew I couldn't shoot him anyway.  I think he was a shooter, but I'll never know.

Tuesday night I had a doe come out and feed towards me with no buck behind her.  The rut is on pretty heavy in Illinois, so I was waiting to see if she had a buck with her.  She hit an opening at 23 yards and I let an arrow fly.  Complete pass through and she only went about 60 yards.

Thursday morning, I hadn't been in the stand for more than 45 minutes.  About 5 minutes after legal shooting began, I head some crunching to my right.  I looked and saw a big doe coming out of the runway at about 12 yards.  I looked behind her and all I saw was horns.  I knew instantly that he was a shooter.  He got to the same spot at the edge of the field, about 12 yards and I drew.  I think he heard something and stopped perfect for me, quartering away slightly.  I let the arrow fly and it looked good. 

I called the guide and him and my dad came about 30 minutes later to start trailing.  We had good blood but about 50 yards in he went onto the neighbors property.  We were assured we could get permission, but we had to back out and make a phone call. 

The owner of the Outfitter got permission, but told us we would have to wait since he had to other deer to trail first.  A long 5 hours later and it was time to go after him.  He led on us a long chase, up and down hills, under low hanging trees, doubling back on himself.  Eventually the owner spotted him laying in the bottom of a 40 foot ravine.  I snuck down to make sure he was dead, and he was down for the count.  The high fiving and hand shaking began.  I ended up hitting him a bit forward from where I thought which is why he went a little farther than anticipated.  I think the 5 hour wait was actually a blessing in disguise since we didn't push him.

He turned out to be a great buck.  151 4/8, mainframe 8 point with three kickers, making him an 11.  I couldn't be any happier with how the trip worked out.  My dad and I both saw a ton of deer, lots of bucks, and saw and heard them doing things we had never seen or heard before.  My dad had an opportunity at a good buck, but his arrow hit a branch and deflected.  He saw 3 more shooters, just not quite close enough.

I couldn't have asked for a better guide.  He bent over backwards to put us on deer.  It was worth the 17 hour drive, even if we came home with nothing.

Here's a picture of the 2 deer together.

TRKYHTR

Great buck. Congrats on an awesome trip.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Tail Feathers

Congratulation on a GREAT buck!  Wow! :happy0064:

That was one good hunting trip!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

savduck

Very nice buck. congrats to you.
Georgia Boy

Eric Gregg

tomstopper

Congrats on a great hunt and some quality father/son time.

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice buck and doe..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

flintlock

Way to go on a TREMENDOUS buck!   :z-guntootsmiley:   ....and the bowkilled doe too!

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

stinkpickle

longbeard11

What an awesome buck!!!! WOW! Congrats!!

Hawkfarm

Congrats on both deer.  A beautiful buck.  I like the picture of both of them together.

TrackeySauresRex

:happy0064: Congrats on a great buck!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."