OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just don't have the urge...

Started by barry, November 05, 2012, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: stinkpickle on November 06, 2012, 12:38:40 PM
  They're a pain to drag out

I threw my back out 2 weeks ago and had to take a week off work to recover.  Only 2 days after starting back to work, I took my second doe with the muzzleloader.  She dropped about 150 yards from my truck, but most of that was uphill.  I went by myself and left my game cart at home.  I looped a webbing strap around her neck and the other end around my wrist and went for it.  She was heavier than my first doe this season, but I enjoyed every yard of the drag. 
I took my first deer only 7 years ago, so maybe that's part of why I still get so excited about it.  When I took my doctor's note in to work (to be able to use sick leave time), my boss, with a smile on her face, said, "you're just going to have to give up hunting".  Later I told her boss that if I had to give up hunting, I probably wouldn't be nearly as easy to deal with at work.  I made sure she understood that being able to hunt makes my day job much more tolerable.  :)
I don't even mind dressing deer for the folks I hunt with.  I just love to hunt.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mossy835

Quit deer hunting many years ago bad back and knee made it too hard to pack them out. Not against it and I have had a lot of fun helping friends get started with the sport. Started turkey hunting not for the shooting or killing but to get out in the woods and enjoy life a little in retirement.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

We Eat. Sleep. Drink. big deer and turkeys.

There is nothing more gratifying than putting your hands on a mature deer after all the hard work that goes into it.

Until turkey season arrives and you start sawin' their heads off morning in and morning out.

renegade19

Took up bow hunting this year at the ripe ole age of 48.  Killed a doe for meat and now I'm hooked.  It still ain't quite the same as spring turkey, but it made me almost forget fall turkeys.

misfire

Most of you guys not in the mood anymore, I know how to change that. I will loan you my wife for a week, bet you do your best to get out of the hosue at every opportunity like I do :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Spring Creek Calls

There is nothing more gratifying than putting your hands on a mature deer after all the hard work that goes into it.

Amen brother!

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

slamman

I have to hunt deer, elk, quail etc......makes the time between seasons go by faster.

Neill_Prater

Time certainly changes one's perspective. I started both deer hunting and turkey hunted at about the same time in my life, my mid-20's. Prior to that, I chased only small game, most importantly, bobwhite's. I can truthfully say I was as nuts about deer hunting as turkey hunting for several years, but, gradually, the passion began to wane. Twenty years ago, I would double up on work the last couple of days before our Saturday deer openers just so I could get done earlier and head for the woods.

Now, I'm retired, and can go every morning, if I want to, but often wind up sleeping in. I did hunt most of the day yesterday, our firearms opener, and saw a decent 8 point briefly in the morning. I saw him again just before dark, but couldn't get a shot. I lost sight of him, and heard a shot about 10 minutes later over on the neighboring land, so I don't know if he bit the dust or not.

Rain was forecast this morning. I got up around 4:30 and checked the radar. Looked as if I would probably have maybe an hour after daylight before rain reached my hunting ground. If I had known for sure the buck didn't get shot, I might have, the emphasis being on might, gone, but instead went back to bed. The only time I have ever gone back to bed during a turkey season was if the rain was coming down in buckets .