News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just don't have the urge...

Started by barry, November 05, 2012, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

...to go deer huntin' like I used to.
Rut is kickin' in and some nice bucks being killed and I'm not even worrying about going.
Wonder if I can exchange my deer tags for extra spring turkey tags???

guesswho

I hear ya Barry.  I lost the urge to deer hunt about 8 or 10 years ago.  I still go every now and then but for the most part they just don't trip my trigger.  I make up for it in the spring though. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jim67

Im the opposit, I never really cared too much about deer hunting when I lived in Texas,moved to NC and I am ate up with it.I grew up pheasant,rabbit and squirrel hunting in Illl, now I love to hunt deer,turkey and squirrel.

drenalinld

Same here, Barry. I used to keep up six or more feeders with cameras year around and bowhunt like crazy. Only go now to camp with my brothers and shoot one for meat now and then. Come on March!

TRKYHTR

I bought a deer tag and didn't even take my bow out of the case and shoot it.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Tail Feathers

I live in Texas where it's mandatory to deer hunt. :TooFunny:

Actually I took vacation this week and only went opening morning and took my grandson Sunday evening.

I took today off to piddle around the house.  I didn't near finish my honey-do list and maybe that's eating at me.  I still enjoy it, but I don't want to work too hard at it anymore.

What I find myself making excuses to NOT do...duck hunt.  Just seems like so much effort for so little return anymore. :help:  And honestly, being out on the stump-filled lake before dawn by myself isn't that appealing anymore either.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

savduck

im with you Barry. i only want to chase feathered quarry.
Georgia Boy

tomstopper

I love to do both but love turkey hunting more than deer.

Eric Gregg

I used to deer hunt every season, but ever since 6 years ago finding the time to do it is kind of hard. However, last night I saw an impressive pointer that got my juices flowing again....
Nice 18" basket rack deer ran right out in front of my car on the way back from church.
That one would have me getting up every morning trying to get him.
I am going to go at it more this year.

lightsoutcalls

I have put more into deer hunting this year than any year in the past.  Part of the reason is that I didn't get to turkey hunt at all this year.  Time and family issues just didn't work out.  I also got an additional piece of private land to hunt this year.  I took a doe with my bow on opening morning there.  I also started using trail cameras this year along with baiting.  I took my second doe the second weekend of muzzleloader season.  This Saturday I plan to spend as long as I need to in the woods to fill another tag on the modern gun opener.  If I can take one with modern gun, I will be able to fill out my application for Arkansas' Triple Trophy award for the first time.  This is given for taking a deer with each of the 3 weapons methods: bow, muzzleloader and modern gun.  I would love to take one with  my Ruger GP100 (.357 magnum) pistol.  It will be by my side come Saturday morning.
  The freezer is filling up nicely and the chili is to die for! 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

woodwzrd

Barry, I am not so sure if I believe your statement. If I remember right you said the same thing about turkey hunting last spring and after everyone was dumbfounded by your comment you let us all in on the joke. (unless that was someone elses post, which is possible. my memory isn't so good sometimes). If you are serious though I fully understand. I am scheduled to work opening weekend of our rifle season this year and while I could swap a shift with someone that doesn't hunt and ask of time off I think I am just going to work. After dealing with my idiot psychopath uncle and his two brainwashed kids last year and not having access to any decent hunting land other than a small 20 acres that is currently being logged I just done don't have the desire that I normally do this year.

With all those dandy buck you have been posting if you do get out best of luck to you. I am sure there will be one waiting for you.

barry

Quote from: woodwzrd on November 06, 2012, 09:55:43 AM
Barry, I am not so sure if I believe your statement. If I remember right you said the same thing about turkey hunting last spring and after everyone was dumbfounded by your comment you let us all in on the joke. (unless that was someone elses post, which is possible. my memory isn't so good sometimes). If you are serious though I fully understand.

With all those dandy buck you have been posting if you do get out best of luck to you. I am sure there will be one waiting for you.

I'm serious Scott and that was my post last spring as a joke!
Arthritis in my neck giving me a fit plus those bucks have disappeared, no pics of them for over a month. If they start showing up again then I might get the URGE to go!
The irony is we worked on all my blinds this summer so they're in better shape than they've been in a long time. I do prefer the late season hunting as se see more bucks then coming to food and we've got some dandy foodplots just waitin' on them!
I'd still rather turkey hunt even if it's fall hunting.

stone road turkey calls

Love being in the woods, deer, turkey, hog doesen't matter, when I can't walk to the woods on my own I will get my son to drag me out there.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Basser69

I go down to the hunting camp and take my Step-son. He hunts while i might or might not. It just depends on the mood and usually it is football and beer that win out not the deer

stinkpickle

Maybe if I start bowhunting again, or if my son goes with me, I might get back into deer hunting.  I go during gun season just out of habit, and I always enjoy it.  I just don't anticipate it much.  They're a pain to drag out, and I'm actually allergic to their dander which really sucks.