turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1st fall tom - super jake?

Started by opster246, October 26, 2012, 06:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opster246

Had a chance at my first fall tom.  He has a 7" beard and 3/4" suprs - was he a jake this past spring?  I'm not sure how fast the beard/spurs will grow.  Seems like a lot of growth over the summer from nubbin' spurs to 3/4" long.

Gotta love turkey hunting - fall or spring!  Completly different ballgame, but great in its own way.

chatterbox

Looks like a tom to me. 3/4" spurs and a 7" beard tell me he was a tom that survived the spring.
Congrats on a fine, fine bird!

tomstopper

slamman

Flydown

captin_hook

Congrats. Looks like a Tom to me.

Turkey Beard

I'd bet on a 2.5 year old bird, too. Nice work!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Devastator

more than likely last springs jake,congrats.

guesswho

Quote from: timb on October 27, 2012, 08:28:37 PM
more than likely last springs jake,congrats.
Yep I agree.

Congrats on the turkey bird.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Crappiepro

Frankinthelaurels

I would say that's what you shot...we call the tweeners in the northeast... they are late hatches from two season ago... for some reason we get lots of them in Ohio...they have full fans, a 5-6 inch beard in the spring but spurs that are around 1/2 or slightly bigger so with the extra 5-6 months of growth I'd say what you described would be the measurements I'd expect for a tweener. Either way it's a beautiful bird and hopefully it'll make some fine eatin'...

Wingbone

Congrats on your fall bird! I'd bet on last spring's jake, too. You wouldn't believe how fast the beards and spurs grow. We had some jakes banded close to where I hunt. They had nubbins when they were banded, then two were killed the next spring with 1.25" spurs and over 10" beards. Game wardens attributed most of that to incredible genetics but gives you a good idea of how fast they grow.

Awesome to be able to get one in the fall. Well done!
In Hoc Signo Vinces

redarrow

WiLL B

turkey slayer