OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wood Grain on a Box Call

Started by SinGin, September 21, 2012, 06:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

At the end of a box call where the screw is attached, is it better to have the grain running left to right, or is it better to have it running top to bottom?

Spring Creek Calls

You'll want the grain running left to right on the end of the call.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

WillowRidgeCalls

Left and Right, as flat as you can find, and tight grained makes the best sounding calls.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

SinGin

Well great, another one for the burn pile. Thanks guys I really appreciate the info

TRKYHTR

Left to right on the box. Top to bottom on the lid.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

SinGin

Already tried the left to right on the box and this one sounds better, now I'll try the top to bottom for the lids. Thanks again. Sam

culpeper

Sam,

It can really be done either way, L to R or R to L, depends on which side you want the old hen and the young hen, or jenny.  For me I find it best if I have the grain running at a slight diagonal and if you think of a watch, I like it best if the grain is oriented at 10:00/4:00, but can be done and done well with less angle and with more angle.  For the lid, here again as Joe says top to bottom is really what they call 1/4 sawn wood and it can be vertical or it also works very well with a slight angle, say 65 to 75 degrees to the right or to the left.  This will depend on the grain angle in your box and how much against the grain friction you want for the old or young hen.

Keep experienting and trying different options and take notes so you can recall what worked and what didn't and why.  But always have fun!  We'll look forward to your posts.

SinGin

Well finished one up, left to right box and already had a top to bottom lid. The two together do sound alot better than what I have made in the past. With help from you all I might have finally figured the whole box call making thing out, or not. Thanks Sam

WillowRidgeCalls

Now before you shape your lids, run a cotton ball up n down the board on the bottom side. That will tell you which way the grain is running in that board and which end to put your screw on. Do the same on your box before you hewn it out, so you know which is the head end and which is the tail end. Your call will play so much easier if your playing grain Against grain, it will chuck and purr so much easier.
Scott

SinGin

So how do I decide which end to use for the box and paddle with the cotton ball?I have run a  cotton ball against it and noticed it grabs more going one direction, so where do I go from there? Thanks Sam

WillowRidgeCalls

As you run the cotton ball one way it will grab a lot more than the other way. That tells you which way the grain is running through that piece of wood, it will grab a lot more going against the grain. I usally put the screw on the smooth direction end of the wood, so when you close that lid it's fighting against the grain. On the box wood it's opposite, you run the grain forward on the box, meaning the tail end of the call is the smooth direction.
Lid...
A ---> B..When you run a cotton ball down the wood from A to B, it's smooth, when you run it from B to A it grabs, so your screw end is A.
Box
It's the opposite, B would be the screw end of the box.

If your running grain against grain, your call will play so much easier and you'll get a nice chatter in your purrs instead of a squeelly whine.
Scott

SinGin

That makes perfect sense now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Sam