OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When hunting becomes a chore, or even painful, what then?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 01, 2012, 10:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have been suffering from Gout attacks for 13 years.  I'm having one right now, and it's lasted more than a week, even with 2 prescriptions.

I have also been diagnosed with Arthritis, Heel Spurs, and Bunyuns.

Sometimes I could invent a whole new set of 4 letter words.

Does there come a point where you just buy all of your meat at the grocery store, and shoot targets in the back yard?

FANMAN

Thats a personal decision,I suffered a broken hip 6 years ago.The sciatic nerve was damaged during surgery.It hurts to walk........I don't want to hunt ....I need to hunt..When it gets to tough to walk...I'll try crawling.

hookedspur

I do it cause its fun !!!If its not fun anymore I will do something else ..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Jay

I've pretty much given up on all of my hunting, except Turkey hunting. Arthritic knees will probably be what finally does me in. Once pain reaches a certain level, it will be time to find a new adventure. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI've pretty much given up on all of my hunting, except Turkey hunting. Arthritic knees will probably be what finally does me in. Once pain reaches a certain level, it will be time to find a new adventure.

But what will the next adventure be? 

Buy a Skeet thrower and shoot clay targets?
Shoot handguns at paper targets?
Fish locally from the comfort of a chair?
Start a home-based online business?
Become an internet expert?
Play Solitaire?

doublebarrel

From when I was younger a fell out of the tree putting up a srand, to my hands barely being able to grip to putting my back out lifting my motorcycle, as stated above,.hunting is something I need to do. I try and push through the pain and do what I can. Its all up to you, you know your body and know what pain you can take. When things becone unbearable to the point of being unsafe for you in the woods...then you have to make a decision.

redarrow

I fell in 03 from a tree while deer hunting.Broke my back,shattered my lower leg bruised my sternum,cracked some ribs and tore the retina in my right eye in 5 places.I have a plate and 14 screws in my leg. People hear that and the first thing they ask is do you still hunt? Oh yeah,why not . They look at me like i'm nuts.As long as the good Lord lets me,I will be there.Wprst part is my vision.Wet blacktop is a real bugger to drive on ay night.I can foresee the time when I'm no longer allowed to drive at night. Till then I will "Keep on Chuglin"

Neill_Prater

I definitely hunt slower than I did years ago, and although I've always been somewhat of a lazy hunter, I find myself avoiding things like rough terrain more as I age. I have a good friend several years older than myself who has a really bad back and shoulder. He quit hunting several years ago, and sold off all his guns. He said it just got to the point where the pain outweighed the pleasure. Myself? I'm hoping I die before I get to that point.

Jay

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on September 02, 2012, 06:06:35 AM
QuoteI've pretty much given up on all of my hunting, except Turkey hunting. Arthritic knees will probably be what finally does me in. Once pain reaches a certain level, it will be time to find a new adventure.

But what will the next adventure be? 

Buy a Skeet thrower and shoot clay targets?
Shoot handguns at paper targets?
Fish locally from the comfort of a chair?
Start a home-based online business?
Become an internet expert?
Play Solitaire?

Who knows, but luckily I have a wide range of hobbies, and a wife I love dearly that spending everyday with is even better than Turkey hunting.

barry

Like Redarrow, I too fell from a treestand. I'm paralyzed from the chest down. Yet from day one after my accident I set my goal to hunt once again. That was almost 18 years ago and I still hunt for both deer and turkey. I need help getting ready and such but hunting is my therapy and I plan on doing it until I die!
I am lucky as pain is not often an issue with me so I can't put myself in your shoes, but if possible I say go becuase like I said it's good therapy! Here's hoping you find a way to deal with the pain.

Tail Feathers

I consider myself very fortunate to not have any issues that slow my hunting...yet.
I admire Barry's passion, along with others here.  Wow, some of you guys have been thru it!  But you still keep going.  My hat is off to each of you.  Barry, you are inspirational.   I know others who have stories similar to you and redarrow.  You guys show the strength of the human spirit.  I salute you both. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
But when the pain outweighs the passion, it's time to move on to other activities.  Shell Shucker, I hope you find relief in time to be in the woods next spring.   :cross2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteShell Shucker, I hope you find relief in time to be in the woods next spring.

Thanks.  I really appreciate it.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: barry on September 03, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
Like Redarrow, I too fell from a treestand. I'm paralyzed from the chest down. Yet from day one after my accident I set my goal to hunt once again. That was almost 18 years ago and I still hunt for both deer and turkey. I need help getting ready and such but hunting is my therapy and I plan on doing it until I die!
I am lucky as pain is not often an issue with me so I can't put myself in your shoes, but if possible I say go becuase like I said it's good therapy! Here's hoping you find a way to deal with the pain.

Barry, sir, you have my respect :you_rock:

turkey_slayer

I got gout in my right knee in 2006 the week of youth day. That's the only injury that has made me cry in 32 years. I still hunted but was miserable doing so even after killing a couple. Knock on wood I haven't had it since. I hope you get everything worked out bud

barry

Shellshucker,
In now way did I aim to take away from your post. I have friends with gout and I realize it is very painful. By saying that hunting is my therapy I did not intend to imply that hunting may ease your pain. Hunting, or for that matter doing anything while in pain, would no fun for anyone.
Hope you are able to enjoy some pain free hunting soon!