turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Muzzleloader question

Started by Spellnj3, August 16, 2012, 08:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spellnj3

Im taking my son (10 yrs old) for his muzzleloader license in about a month and I want to shoot a lighter (softer to shoot) combination of powder and bullet.  I have a tc triumph, any suggestions??? I dont want him to be scared to shoot it at the range but I know there has to be a minimum charge in order to shoot correctly.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

redarrow

I shoot 2 50 gr.pellets. 3 is brutal on my shoulder.

drenalinld

80 gr of loose pyrodex and a lightweight bullet.

handcannon

With my CVA Optima, I shoot 85 grains of loose pyrodex with a 295 grain powerbelt hollow point. I'm not needing to shoot over a hundred yards where I hunt so I dont need any heavy hitting magnum loads. If you use loose powder, you wont have to be stuck with a certain charge amount. Usually, shooting this load feels about like shooting a 20 gauge with squirrel shot. Start at around 75 grains with a 3 shot grouping and increase it by 5 grains until you get a good pattern.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: drenalinld on August 16, 2012, 09:40:42 PM
80 gr of loose pyrodex and a lightweight bullet.
80 gr and a light bullet is very manageable in my TC. Something like an xpt in 240 gr would be a good bullet that expands quickly. Friends don't let friends shoot powerbelts...

lightsoutcalls

I'm shooting 100 grains of loose Triple 7 powder with a 295 grain power belt.  I would say mine kicks something like a .20 gauge.  I still can't talk my 19 year old daughter into shooting it.  The scope and the idea of it being different than her .20 gauge seems intimidating. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Hooksfan

[/quote]
Friends don't let friends shoot powerbelts...
[/quote]

:z-winnersmiley:

chatterbox

I shoot 90 grains of loose powder and a Hornaday XTP 240 out of my T/C Scout.
Very little recoil. I would say in the area of a 20 gauge as well. Very pleasant shooting little carbine.
I just won a T/C Impact muzzleloader, and I'm gonna try 100 grains and the same bullet.

strutnva

Had a buddy do this for his son with great results and dead deer.  250 gr shockwave and ONE 50 gr pyrodex pellet, good to about 75 yards.

BowBendr

I shoot 70 grs. of BH209 and a 250 gr. Barnes Expander in a Knight disc rifle. Recoil is very minimal. My kids shoot it with ease. Killed a truckload of deer with it over the years and most deer never take a step.

I did start my boy out with one 50 gr. pellet at the range though, then worked up over several sessions.