OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chilled #6 Lead Reloads, Pics Added

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, August 04, 2012, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteAlso, if you know it will kill effectivley at 40, then everything under 40 should be fine.

I understand that line of thinking.  Most people hold 40 yards as the holy grail, but no matter how awesome your pattern is at 40 yards, you shouldn't shoot past 40 yards.

RE: Small Lead Shot, #6 or #7.5
I'm just saying that if 40 yards is the max, I want to know what's going on prior to 40 yards too.  There's a lot more real estate prior to 40, than there is at 40.

The numbers and coverage at 30 and 35 yards, are just as important as they are at 40.

chatterbox

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 05, 2012, 06:42:46 PM
QuoteAlso, if you know it will kill effectivley at 40, then everything under 40 should be fine.

I understand that line of thinking.  Most people hold 40 yards as the holy grail, but no matter how awesome your pattern is at 40 yards, you shouldn't shoot past 40 yards.

The numbers and coverage at 30 and 35 yards, are just as important as they are at 40.
I agree with both of these statements. I will never knowingly shoot at a bird past 40. I had 3 gobblers walk by me at 60, and I couldn't entice them closer, so they walked.
My point is, I want to know exactly what my numbers are at 40, because it is my absolute max.
I do agree with the 30-35 yard patterns, because this is my favorite range to shoot a turkey at. Close enough that I can enjoy the show, but far enough for my pattern to be well developed by the time it slams into his head and neck.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

This was just a current loading of a few shells.  The straight 6's surprised me a little.  

I've also been experimenting with mixed Lead shot sizes, such as 4x6x7.5 and 4x5x6x7.5

The mixed loads put up better numbers, but there are 7.5's in the mix.

I still hunt with factory loads that I've proven at 40 Yards.  But I'm experimenting with reloads to see what I can do with them.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It is my understanding that Magnum Lead with higher antimony content is Harder, but Chilled lead is actually more Dense.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 07, 2012, 07:15:08 AM
It is my understanding that Magnum Lead with higher antimony content is Harder, but Chilled lead is actually more Dense.

That is absolutely true.