turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chilled #6 Lead Reloads, Pics Added

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, August 04, 2012, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I've always read that you need to use Copper or Nickel plated Lead to get good results.  And that it has to have a high antimony content.  And that you need to use 3" Wads, so the Lead doesn't ride the barrel and deform.

I loaded 1 7/8 Ounces of Lawrence brand #6 Chilled Lead (unplated) Shot, I didn't use a 3" Wad, and I still got pretty good results shooting at pre-drawn 8.5 inch circles:

870 with 28" barrel, custom .675 Indian Creek with No ports or wad catchers, 181 in 10" at 35 Yards.  This choke also does very well with #4 Buckshot, BTW.

870 with 28" barrel, .655 Ventilator, 167 in 10" at 35 Yards.  The 10" circle was very evenly covered.  This choke has a long scratch inside it (from shooting factory HTL loads) that I can feel with my finger.  I only use it with Lead loads now.

Rockhound

Deputy 14

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteAre those with #6 shot?

Yes.  Straight #6 Lawrence Chilled Lead Shot.

That's a little better than what I expected to get at 35 Yards.

Also, notice those are pre-drawn circles.  My POA and POI are close.  I even shot them freehand while standing up.

I think one secret to this is my velocity probably isn't super high.  There's not much felt recoil there for 1 7/8 Ounces.  Also, I chose not to use a choke with wad catchers, since I am using a 2 3/4 inch wad in a 3 inch hull, which means that some shot is riding the barrel.

***Please note that I am not posting a recipe.***

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Also, I thought the top pattern looked like it was overchoked a little, but actually, that pattern was through a much more open choke.

Reloading topic threads are still allowed on OG, minus any recipes or loading instructions.

chatterbox

Those look awsome! :you_rock:
I have a couple of questions. One is why the 35 yard shot? It looks like there is plenty there to do the job out to 40, so I am just curious as to why you chose 35.
Second, what is meant by "chilled" shot? I have heard that term before, and I am just curious what it meant.

spurman

Chilled lead shot has less antimony than "magnum lead shot" and therefore is softer than Magnum lead shot.  I Don't know why the use chilled instead of just saying soft shot.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

chatterbox

Quote from: spurman on August 04, 2012, 05:15:56 PM
Chilled lead shot has less antimony than "magnum lead shot" and therefore is softer than Magnum lead shot.  I Don't know why the use chilled instead of just saying soft shot.
Thanks for the explanation, Bill! I hope you're having a great summer!

surehuntsalot

some fine looking patterns for lead shot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotewhy the 35 yard shot?

I started patterning small Lead (#6, #7.5) at 35 Yards, because 40 Yard patterns often look like a cloud of shot, with no real hint of what the pattern looked like prior to 40 yards.  Most all patterns at 30 yards look good, and don't seem to tell me much, other than POA / POI.  At 35 yards, I can still see holes in the pattern vs. even coverage, plus I have some idea of the size / coverage of my pattern at less than 40 Yards.

40 Yard patterns give us a picture of the very end of our pattern range, if we limit ourselves to 40 yards.  It's like watching only the end of a movie.  I want to know more of the story.

chatterbox

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteMakes sense. I can see your point.

If only my wife would say that!!!

BandedSpur

Those are pretty amazing numbers for chilled 6s, even if they were at 35 yds. I assume the loads were buffered? What was the temp when you shot? I would be very interested to know how those patterns hold up at 40.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteThose are pretty amazing numbers for chilled 6s, even if they were at 35 yds. I assume the loads were buffered?

I meant to buy Magnum 6's, but I bought Chilled 6's by mistake.  No.  No buffer.

QuoteWhat was the temp when you shot?

About 80 degrees.

QuoteI would be very interested to know how those patterns hold up at 40.

I'd expect to lose 25%-30%+ of the pattern density between 35 and 40 yards.

chatterbox

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on August 04, 2012, 11:42:27 PM
Quotewhy the 35 yard shot?

I started patterning small Lead (#6, #7.5) at 35 Yards, because 40 Yard patterns often look like a cloud of shot, with no real hint of what the pattern looked like prior to 40 yards.  Most all patterns at 30 yards look good, and don't seem to tell me much, other than POA / POI.  At 35 yards, I can still see holes in the pattern vs. even coverage, plus I have some idea of the size / coverage of my pattern at less than 40 Yards.

40 Yard patterns give us a picture of the very end of our pattern range, if we limit ourselves to 40 yards.  It's like watching only the end of a movie.  I want to know more of the story.

I do see your point on knowing the max density of your pattern, but now that you know what it will do at 35, you should shoot it at 40 to see your "end game" results. Also, if you know it will kill effectivley at 40, then everything under 40 should be fine.