turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What wood for a box call??

Started by turkeykiller22, July 20, 2012, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Hey guys I have never made a box call before and i am wanting to... Any suggestions for what type of wood to use? Im a green horn at this so please any help and info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

Spring Creek Calls

Hard to beat an all black walnut box.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TRKYHTR

Poplar box and walnut lid. Or you could go with butternut and walnut lid.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M Sharpe

Or, you could go with walnut over mahogany
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

WillowRidgeCalls

Try cherry for the box, it's easy to work with and has great sound with numerous woods for the paddle, canary, maple, walnut and many others. Cherry isn't to soft or too hard, so it's easy to cut and easier to tune. Popular is another good wood to learn with.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

pappy

Take a look at some of the most desirable boxes out there, Mahogany, Cedar, Cherry and Poplar seem to be their choices, me I love Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Sitka Spruce for their straight tight graining, I love Walnut for it's ability to sound good with just about any other wood....if you are looking for a certain sound, check the woods ability for pitch, the outcomes are countless.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

huntin_buck

Don't start out trying to make an all walnut box...if you're planning on making it out of a solid block then it's a little tough to hewn out because of its hardness. Start with a butternut, cherry, or poplar box with a walnut lid. They're easier to tune and the walnut lid gives a good sound plus in my opinion it's easier to purr on a box that has a walnut lid. Good luck...PS- you'll be hooked once you make one
Hornberger Custom Calls
www.hornbergercustomcalls.com
www.facebook.com/hornbergercustomcalls

misfire

Whatever wood you choose, be sure the grain is oriented correctly. I like all of the above choices. Also, the tighter the grain the better
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net